Advertisements
Advertisements
I was adopted when I was an infant and don't know enough about my background.
Looking for a good alternative to the very expensive
Where can I get good, accurate genetic information. I am looking to gain as much knowledge as possible about my genetic ancestry
Advertisements
Hello jonniex - I was also adopted as an infant and knew nothing about my family or health history. I went to 23 & Me and had my genetic profile done in a complete edition. I was truly pleased and excited about the results. As far as the cost goes, it priced fairly for a complete edition. Try [url]www.23andme.com[/url] and look at what they offer - I found it was well worth it.
They even offer a relative finder thru DNA and it's fun to see all the genetic cousins that come up. I have over 240! But you do have to remember that it's through DNA and not a "family tree" that bio-relatives have.
Good Luck!
;)
If you are looking for just fun entertainment value, the genetic tests are fine. If you are looking for actual information (region in the world you are from, etc), these are useless and great ways for companies to prey on people who are looking for answers.
The 'region of the world test' for example. It maps either your mitochondrial DNA or Y chromosome DNA (which women don't even have). Your mitochondrial DNA is from your mother, which is from her mother, on back through time. However, if you look at your family tree, this is only one genetic line of very many. It's not a remotely accurate picture of your ancestral makeup, it's a glimpse into what might be from one specific very distant ancestor. Some studies have shown that samples from the same person sent to three different companies have come up with three different answers regarding global 'origins.'
With the autosomal DNA, the 'find a relative' test, that is also pretty vague. You can really only be matched with other people in the database, that may or may not actually be related to you.
That doesn't mean that as databases grow and technology improves that this answer won't change with time. And you may get a peace of mind from this information... but it may very well be a peace of mind from inaccurate information.
Sit down and figure out exactly what information you are looking for. Then do a lot of research to determine if the information you are looking for is even possible through present DNA testing. Learn some information about genetics, mitochondrial DNA, autosomal DNA, inheritance patterns... educate yourself first before making this decision. Chances are, you'll opt to save your money until more comprehensive and accurate data is available.
I think one of those "news" shows like 60 minutes once did an expose on some of the companies that offer genetic testing (offering to find other relatives), and the results were bogus. They showed an older white man who was genetically matched with a black woman (somewhere down the line they supposedly shared the same ancestry???). Nevertheless they were excited to meet each other. (I just remember thinking at the time of the irony that I have half-sibs who don't want to meet me).
I believe 60 Minutes also sent one person's DNA to a few different companies which gave entirely different results (different countries of origin).
As peregrinrose wrote, I believe that many of these genetic tests are for entertainment value only. It would be fine if you have plenty of spare money on hand.
Of course, there are legitimate ways to test DNA, but I have no personal experience or knowledge to share.
Hello again,
As I said before, I was also adopted at birth. No medical/family history was transered with my adoption.
I can say, through my life my personal doctors were frustrated by the lack of medical information transfered with adoptions. At the age of 30, I found breast lumps - I've had one surgery and three other biopsies. With this fact in mind, I elected to have a DNA profile done - even with the knowledge that it is still in it's early findings. I NEEDED to know if I had the breast cancer gene - and my doctor was pleased that we now knew something about my medical possibilities. FOR ME: That peace of mind was well worth the money I spent.
Since the relative finder was part of the medical package with 23 & Me, I found that to be the "fun" part. And, I am pleased to tell all of you that through that service and with me knowing my birthmother's name - I have two 5th cousins that are "blood-relations" and a family tree that goes back to 1734. All the others are just in a "world" relation.
I'm almost 50 years old now - and after having the DNA testing done, I feel good about my medical possibilities. I do not have the gene for breast cancer but: Could I still get breast cancer - YES. But at least I know.
Do what is best for you jonniex - and good luck!!!
Advertisements
I am also adopted and have no family connections. I read the "23 and me" post here, and felt better about using them.
My only 2 questions were, will they do a match against all the people within their database, and secondly will they share the personal contact information so that contact could be made?
You can do at home also. By using AncestryDNA kit you can know your all DNA details. If you don't want to buy from store then get online from