Advertisements
Advertisements
We just returned from Kiev with no child. The situation is grim, just horrible. We sought a healthy younger child, but older was okay if they seemed stable. We saw just referral after referral of special needs children, "mental retardation," "spina bifada," "FAS," etc. We asked if we could see more. She said, "they are all like this, or worse." In some way, it was so overwhelming, it was almost insulting. The one or two referrals we saw that were considered "healthy" still have serious issues or great potential for life long problems and high risks (they are in special needs orphanages and have issues like small head, etc.). And then, we are not even talking about the psychological and social problems of being institutionalized for so long. I told our US facilitator time and time again that we couldn't handle a special needs child, and she kept telling me they are most all fine, the government makes up these illnesses so the kids can come up for adoption quicker, these illnesses are not that serious. She was not telling me the truth, and neither was the translator and several others who are in this game. After our SDA meeting, we were so shocked and saddened and later angry. We had spent so much money just to get to that point. Other countries mislead too, not just Ukraine. THere is no consumer protection or fraud laws in place watching these agencies and facilitators. They trick you to get you to fly to Ukraine, spend all this money, and then go for the emotional "sale" once they know you are too deep into the game. THey try to get you to take something you don't want, and many do. IT is horrible and feels like hell. My advice, stay away from Ukraine unless you know for sure you want to deal with high risks and life-long issues. This trickery and deceit is a terrible thing to inflict on good-hearted trustful foreigners seeking to adopt.