Advertisements
Advertisements
My wife and I would love to meet other adoptive families in the Provo, Utah area including Salt Lake City.
Our boy is now 7. We try to keep him informed that he is adopted. As of this writing he dose not get it yet. His birth mother and grandmother are still in his life. We try to explain to him who they are and how they are related.
My wife and I would love to see how other families deal with and what to expect next. We would love to make sure we are doing things right. A lot of daily prayer helps.
Please get intouch with me if you are interested in friendship between our families. My email is irpappyroot2@yahoo.com
Love and Prayers
Darryl J. Root
Thanks you for sharing
With my dd, she understood it, but preferred not to think about it. To her is was a very small part of her story and she didn't like to dwell on it. Also she automatically assumed all her friends had birthparents. I would not force the topic, nor would I shy away when it's relevant, but emphasizing it will eventually make it stand out as something odd or different about him. Keep it casual and if he has questions, he'll ask them when he feels the need. Keep in mind most boys are way less interested emotionally in their adoption until they are grown men.
Think of if your wife had given birth to him, and something went awry, that wasn't normal....nothing tragic...just way different than the average delivery story. How often would you bring that up? How much interest would you expect him to have in the details? An adoption is just one of many types of delivery stories, slightly more complicated, but that's it.