Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
kburch
I don't think I would be cooking unlimited quantities of food, either. That is not reasonable in terms of time or money, I'm sorry. And if my kid eats all of the crock-pot chili I'd just been cooking for the last 8 hours, there won't be more of it for at least 8 hours - it just doesn't work. What we do in general is make enough for reasonable portions for everyone (often including seconds), and if anyone is still hungry, we always have canned vegetables, fresh vegetables, and/or fresh fruit available to eat. These are not offered *in place* of dinner, but if one is still hungry after dinner has been eaten. I have yet to see either of my kids eat themselves sick on carrots (but I'm not quite sure how I would handle it if they did...?!). I don't mind my kids eating if they are hungry, but it is going to be something generally healthful and reasonable for me...
Also, another point is? My son would've insisted he was hungry just to get me stop doing what I was doing and do something FOR HIM (cooking more food). It had nothing to do with being hungry. We know he was not fed regularly as a child and so "I'm hungry" or "I have to go to the bathroom/ I accidentally peed on the floor" or "I'm HURRRTT!" were the things that always made the adults in charge back off and give him what he wanted (delayed bedtime, no shower just yet, put off the homework, interrupt the conversation mom and dad were having). It will likely get worse before it gets better. Stand your ground.