Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I'm going to use some of these ideas. I like the - "all complaints will be taken after the meal" idea.
I was so tired of the whining over food, especially when I try to cook things that everyone likes or has liked at one point in time. Finally, I decided to do something similar to what your therapist suggested. We have set times to eat and that is when you eat. If you whine or cry at the table your food is removed. No second chances. If you grab the food and shove it in your mouth before we can get to the plate, we put them on the thinking square in the dining room (square of rug on the floor right next to us - but not at the table -basically you lost the priviledge) while every one else finishes dinner (oh and no dessert). If you are still hungry after you eat the main dinner then we do try to find additional healthy food - vegetables or fruits. OR we just move to dessert. Sometimes we check our stomachs and really talk about whether or not we are really hungry or if we are ready for dessert. They get small desserts (if they have eaten a protein and their vegetables). I find that having a small dessert helps them move on from the main course and closes out the meal for them - in their head.
I do let them eat as much as they want, of whatever I choose. Our youngest one isn't RAD but she has food issues and at 4 (size of a 2yo) will eat as much as hubby eats in one sitting. She hasn't ever thrown up from eating too much, but she routinely can't see her feet after eating. We don't worry because her 2T pants fall off of her.
I'd say give the therapists ideas a try. Remember, that it will probably be miserable for awhile. She isn't going to want you to control the food and she will react. But once you make it through and she realizes that none of her reactions change anything - she will probably stop.
OH - and I think you handled the ear issue perfectly. Two good choices and she chose one. AND her choice validated your thoughts.