Advertisements
Advertisements
My son is three, cute as a button and the light of our lives. But he's not sleeping well because he snores like an old man. Seriously. It's that bad. I can hear it all the way down the hall in our bedroom. The past two weeks he's been waking up multiple times per night. He's frustrated. We're frustrated. And all are exhausted.
We've tried pillows, switching his sleeping position, humidifiers, a small dose of Benadryl (thinking it was allergies) and saline drops. Nothing is working. We even went as far as purchasing the Breathe Right strips to put on his nose (they were too big for his button nose).
We made an appt. with our pediatrician next week. We're hoping for a referral to a Pediatric ENT.
Any here have toddlers who snore? What did you do? And how did you make him or her comfortable so that they sleep (somewhat) through the night. I feel so bad for him and there's really nothing I can do.
Does he snore all the time? Was he recently sick?
My DD was snoring REALLY loud and we found out she had strep throat. She didn't have any symptoms.
Advertisements
My niece did it- her tonsils and andiods were too large for here throat. They needed to be removed.
Talk to your ped and ask for a referral to an ENT. Snoring is serious and should not be ignored, especially in children.
My niece's were so bad, she was actually in danger during allergy season when the tonsils and andoids would swell and prevent her from breathing. She was taken to the ER 20 times not breathing and turning blue.
She had them out at 3 years old and never had another problem.
Love and hugs,
i'm glad you are hoping to get into the ent.....our ds snored like an old man too. lol. he was also having periods where he stopped breathing at night. turns out he had enlarged tonsills and adenoids. once they took those bad boys out, the snoring disappeared THAT NIGHT.
Yup. I agree. Take him to ent. Our baby snores and it is a serious issue. If their airway is obstructed can cause Growth issues and developmental delays! Her adnoids are coming out in february.
Our 2 1/2 year old is a TERRIBLE snorer! We took him for xrays of his tonsils & adenoids and they came back unremarkable. So... we've got an appointment with an allergist in a few weeks to see if that helps! Good luck!! :)
:flower:
Advertisements
We even went as far as purchasing the Breathe Right strips to put on his nose (they were too big for his button nose)
Did you try the adult size or the children's size? The children's size are much smaller.
Another vote for the ENT. Ds1's adenoid was very enlarged, and removing it cured the snoring and the poor sleeping. And he's a much happier camper because he's sleeping better, too!
My four year old snores loudly and has trouble breathing all winter and has had this problem since I brought him home at 10 months. His tonsils and adenoids are fine. It's the extremely dry air in the house during the colder months caused by the furnace. Humidifiers only help somewhat. As soon as I shut the heat off in the late spring, he's fine. I'm not sure what the solution is either. But he has trouble sleeping all winter because of it.
when julian came home he snored all the time. we happened to give him antibiotics for strep when he was almost 2 and his snoring stopped within days.
and my professional experience (i am a naturopathic physician) is that sometimes kids snore from inflammation due to food sensitivities. i can't count the number of kids i've recommended get off dairy and snoring has stopped completely. same for chronic stuffy nose, ear infections, allergies and cough. dairy, for some kids, just leads to extra mucous and/or sinus inflammation. certainly worth a try as long as you make sure to supplement calcium if you do it.
good luck!
Advertisements
Update: We took him to the after-hours clinic this morning after another bad night. Turns out he has step. This surprises us because he's not complaining of a sore throat and he isn't running a fever. Energy level is good, too.
We have a ten-day course of antibiotics. If the snoring continues into the next week, we'll see a Pediatric ENT. Most likely, the tonsils and the adenoids will have to be removed. BUT, first they want him healthy and to see what the tonsils are like without the infection.
Thank you for your advice. Once again, y'all helped me out.
My children that snored had both tonsil and adenoid issues (swollen). Two of my sons had sleep apnea and had their tonsils and adenoids removed. Anna
mommytoEli
i'm glad you are hoping to get into the ent.....our ds snored like an old man too. lol. he was also having periods where he stopped breathing at night. turns out he had enlarged tonsills and adenoids. once they took those bad boys out, the snoring disappeared THAT NIGHT.
Yes, DS was ALWAYS a loud snorer, even as an infant but then it progressed to sleep apnea. We kept track of it for about six months and last February he had his HUGE tonsils and adenoids removed and his snoring disappeared, he was breathing all the time and I slowly started to attempt to get the 10 years I lost in the worry. He had this done just before he turned 3 and the operation and recovery went well. I just had to keep him away from daycare for two weeks and on soft food for same. Please do get him to an ENT once he recovers from his strep.
Four Ways To Stop Snoring
I understand the situatins here and I've came across with a website, it has a lot of things very useful ,about Prevent snoring, Prevent tooth damage, Stops tooth grinding, Alleviate pain and headaches, Reduce tension..etc go check it out caressamia.com , that's may help you
Advertisements
There is an alternative. Check out "gaps diet". Our son had sleep apnea and the diet cured him. The tonsils and adenoids are telling you something that is wrong with your son's diet.
Listen to them. My son is sensitive to gluten, and I have no idea what else it affects beyond his adenoids, but it clearly isn't good for him.