Advertisements
Advertisements
Over the past three-four weeks B our 9 year old is starting to show "weird" eating habits. He thinks he has to eat everything, and I mean everything. He eats every thing on his plate, wants to have 2nd, 3rds and sometimes more. If someone doesn't finish their food on their plate he wants to eat that as well. He will make comments like " I am full." and then leave the table. Yet, if he sees that there are left overs he will ask if he can finish what food is left.
He is constantly saying that he is hungry. We try and provide healthy snacks but he always wants more then what is a good snack size portion. Today, I asked him why he thinks he is always so hungry, and he said my stomach growls a lot. DH tried to explain to him that just because your stomach growls does not mean you're necessarily hungry, that stomachs do growl naturally. I have also tried to explain to him that a person can get full without stuffing himself to the point of bursting. He of course doesn't understand this.
B has no history of eating issues in his long unpleasant past. No other foster homes or shelters have reported anything like this. his "manners" at the table have changed as well, meaning he has started to literally shovel food into his mouth as if he is afraid it will be his last meal. He eats all of his meals on a schedule and knows when his next meal will be.
DH and I have began monitoring his portions. This is making him upset, and it's becoming a struggle.In fact I have started finding food crumbs in his bed, he denies eating during the night.However, it is obvious that he is. I feel bad because apart of me thinks well maybe this child is going through a growth spurt, and maybe he is just really hungry. The the other part of me thinks his new eating habits are not healthy, and he has been under a lot of stress related to things going on with his birthmom. It is starting to become obvious that he is gaining weight, and I do not want this to get out of control.
DH and I have a good amount of experience with RAD, ADHD, ADD, ODD, Bipolar, and a few others. I know this is unusual but we have never had a child with food issues placed with us. If anyone could offer us any advice or guidance regarding this issue, we would really appreciate it!:thanks:
The first thing I would do is schedule an appointment with his pediatrician. There may be an underlying medical reason for his hunger/eating.
Advertisements
SO far, all of my foster kids have had eating issues and mainly wanting to eat everything and then some. If there have never been any reports of him having this problem before, then it does point to a new underlying problem. Start with a pediatrician and go from there. As far as snacks, leave out veggies for him to eat. Celery, carrots, broccoli, etc. If he is really hungry, he will eat those.
CaddoRose
SO far, all of my foster kids have had eating issues and mainly wanting to eat everything and then some. If there have never been any reports of him having this problem before, then it does point to a new underlying problem. Start with a pediatrician and go from there. As far as snacks, leave out veggies for him to eat. Celery, carrots, broccoli, etc. If he is really hungry, he will eat those.
he has absolutely no problem eating fruits and veggies, but he will eat a portion size for 2-3 people. I have brought this issue up with the therapist, but she did not seemed concerned stating it is just stressed. But yes, it may be time for a pediatrician visit.
P, my oldest had major food issues. I found out (after he'd been with me 2.5 years), that he went hungry with bio mom. He ate food in his roo; he would take it as soon as I bought it home. I now lock up cereal and anything for dessert. He'll eat fruits also. But he's now down to where he eats "normal" portions (as normal as can be for a 15 yo).
My 10 year old went through that and i was a little concerned but then my son came home asking if he can take sex ed..I was like huh. My husband and I agreed come to find out he is going through puberty and biys gain wait during that time...huh learn somthing new all the time....BTW he's my oldest...lol...:eek: :rolleyes:
Advertisements
My 22 yr old son was a human vaccuum. Even his coaches were impressed! Part of his issue was Zyprexa, which causes hunger--and weight gain.
Look at whatever meds he's on. Talk with the doc. And ask yourself if it's possible that the other homes he's been in just didn't report it or it just wasn't reported to you. I'd also wonder why he left the past homes and how long he was there. It might be a time frame issue for him--I've been here this long, I was there this long, when do I move again? Maybe his food issues ARE triggered by stress.
After ruling out any physical issues, I'd be worried less about weight gain and more about his emotional state right now since this is so sudden. Maybe he needs to get into soccer or karate or something if this is a stress reaction.
We had kids who would eat everything except the tablecloth--including all of the condiments on the table. I learned to cook only enough for them to have a regular portion and then about 1/2 as much for seconds. It didn't stop the feeding frenzy, but it did control their amount of intake. You might also try giving him control of his own snack box with enough snacks for a week at a time. He'd pick them out (with your help) and keep them in his own little tub. He would control when and how they were eaten. When gone, they'd be replaced at the appointed time. Some kids need that little bit of control to be able to let go of their compulsions.
greenrobin
And ask yourself if it's possible that the other homes he's been in just didn't report it or it just wasn't reported to you.
It has crossed my mind that maybe we just don't know something. It wouldn't be the first time that a foster child was placed with us, and we were surprised by something. I tried to ask him a few questions that may give me some insight, but he became very "hush, hush". This of course raised some red flags for me. Yet, I know he is not going to out and out admit that he at one time went hungry because he feels very obligated to protect his mom. I checked the side effects for his meds and nothing was listed about over eating.
He has also been on this med for over 2 years, so I would think that any side effects he was having would have been known of by now. I will make a app with the doc though to be safe. I am hoping that it is just puberty, and that I am just being over worried. Thanks for the snack box Idea, I am going to try that!