Advertisements
Advertisements
So I am looking into becoming a foster/adopt parent and I was wondering about what all I would need to do to become one. What does the background check consist of or state records check. Can I do this myself? How long are classes and does anybody offer child care while doing these classes? I just want to be prepared. Thanks
Mommy of 4 wild loving boys :grouphug:
You might try posting this on the foster parents forum. I know there are a few seasoned fost/adopt families from CO who visit that sight regularly.
Advertisements
You can't do the background check yourself. Only a qualified agency or the county/social services can do that.
Classes are different depending on who you are taking them from. Mine were done through a private agency and lasted a few weeks. I don't know if it's different now but I believe CO requires 24 hours of training in order to adopt a special needs/older child.
You can also contact the Colorado Human Svcs dept to inquire about their classes and going directly with the state if you don't want to use an agency.
First you'll need to decide what route to go with either the agency or the state. Then they'll walk you through the whole process of the checks, training, homestudy etc.
Hope that helped!:)
Typically you get the background checks done when you fill out the application to adopt in the first place which is before all the other stuff.
If you go with the state, you start the classes, and some of the paperwork comes in there. Fingerprints, physicals, background check, and some other 'homework' type of assignments.
After all of that is the home study...or at least that was my experience with the state.
I did all of my classes and paperwork first, and am currently awaiting the completion of the background check. If all goes according to plan, my home study should begin around the middle of January, 2011.
Advertisements