Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all...
My husband, Chris and I finally attended orientation today. Holy Toledo was there alot of people there. Im guessing that there were about 120 people! And so our journey begins today! :)
Anyway, the meeting was informative, and we received the applications and instructions on how to complete them.
I was attempting to hang around and ask a few questions afterwards, but there were soooo many people, that it would have taken far too long.
So I have a question for anyone who has adopted through Riverside County.
My husband was self employed for a few years, but now works side jobs occasionally, but is paid under the table.
I dont want to get in trouble with the IRS, how should I treat his income? My income is more than enough to cover our monthly bills, his income is discretionary.
Your input and any other advice you have for us newbs is is greatly appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!
Tam :)
Advertisements
We sent in application package 02/01/2010
The income question I had asked was not a problem at all.
We had our Medical Physicals and TB tests on 2/17/2010
Our initial County Interview was 3/3/2010, at the same time they did our livescans and criminal background checks.
Classes started 4/12, and our final one is this upcoming Monday night 6/28! woo hooo!!
We went through our CPR and First Aid courses.
We had and passed our Home Inspection (State) 5/12/2010. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Its so easy to get carried away with the cleaning etc.
After this, we still have our final home study, which could take another month or two to complete.
I guess its going smoothly, but it takes so darned long!
Ive met a few other couples/singles that came out of class within the last year. Two have already had placements. One is still waiting for her first call...its been two months, but I guess in the grand scheme of things, that's no so bad.
One of the ladies (who fosters infants) that has been helping teach our class, says it will probably take an entire year from orientation to get our first placement. I hope shes wrong.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Tam :)
we have orientation tomorrow... can not wait... how were the classes? did you and your hubby attend? also how was the home study? what do they look for? we have a 2 yr old lil girl... im hoping it goes smoothly...
The classes were good. Sometimes a bit overwhelming emotionally, as they seem to review worst case scenarios.
Both must attend. If you or he miss one, you need to make it up. There is homework each week. Not alot, but enough that you dont want to get behind. I enjoyed meeting others going through the same process. Its potluck, so that made it kinda fun as well.
The home inspection was easier than expected. Its just the physical inspection of your home and property.
The home study is more a study on us indvidually, and its not yet completed. I think they take the information that we have provided them and then visit with us individually, then together prior to writing it.
They should be able to tell you when the next set of classes start. Its usually a month or so after the orientation. They do some prescreening prior to classes to weed out those that arent suitable.
We are probably about six months ahead of you. DannieS here on the board is probably about 6 -9 months ahead of us. Shes already received an infant as a placement :)
Tam
We had the first half of our homestudy Sat before last, and our second half scheduled this next Saturday.
Basically, the questions she asked were exactly the same as the questions we answered throughout the process.
So we are nearly done :)
I hope we are placed with our children soon!
Tam
Advertisements
We are attending orientation at the end of this month but when/how long are the parenting classes? I work evenings and wanted to get an idea if they offer different times/days that we can attend?