Advertisements
Advertisements
I think we all know that UNICEF fights for the rights of children and right now they are in Haiti to help make sure the children aren't trafficked. I think we can all agree that we do not want illegal adoptions happening.
HOWEVER
Why on earth are these children being packed in tent cities when there are LEGITIMATE child care organizations willing to step up and provide food, shelter, and services to reunite these children with their parents.
UNICEF simply won't allow this.
Here is a link to an article detailing the health problems these children are facing:
[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020201483_2.html?sid=ST2010020201901]Children suffering health problems in Port-au-Prince camps - washingtonpost.com[/url]
I know for a fact GLA has raised over $100,000.00 for the care of displaced children and have empty beds and space for many children. Why isn't UNICEF making use of these community based resources for the benefit of the children.
I have tried to contact UNICEF on this issue and they refuse to respond to any attempts.
I would like to contact IBESR but have no idea how.
AID is not reaching these tent cities regularly. There are reports of AID trucks passing by these camps and folks going 3 days or more without receiving aid.
The ability to monitor children in tent cities is seriously hampered by logistics. Food coupons are being stolen and forged, unaccompanied children need to be better cared for than this and the resources within the community are already there with LEGITIMATE organizations.
I think there is one important issue you didn't specifically address in your post - that is the fact that everyone in that article has parents.
These "legitimate child care organizations" aren't accepting families - they are accepting parent-less children.
Children aren't the only people impacted by what has happened in Haiti.
Yes, there are parent-less children in need of help...but I think your post does bring up a good point - what about the adults who are going without food and water and shelter with their families in tow? What about those children?
They have no "child care organization" interested in helping their families survive so they can stay together...surely you aren't suggesting these children be taken from their families in order to go stay in the care of a 'child care organization'.
We shouldn't be creating orphans out of families who have been totally devastated by this horrific tragedy simply because they have children and have been left with little to no resources to support/care for them.
Isn't this what all the relief has been about? Helping the PEOPLE of Haiti - not just the children?
Advertisements
No GLA is helping women KEEP their families intact. I can't vouch for all organizations but they are interested in helping displaced children.
Adoptions aren't happening right now and family sponsorship is being talked about with at least one organization.
There are also schools willing to help out.
Since adoptions aren't happening these organizations are having to adapt to stay in existance. (If adoptive parents aren't paying funds to adopt they realize they have to help in other ways.)
I know children aren't the only ones affected. I'm looking for ways to sponsor a family. :)