Advertisements
Advertisements
We are hoping to have our daughter baptized in March or April, after the adoption finalization.
I was looking in the stores, and did anyone here have their child baptized in an outfit that was NOT a "baptism" or "christening" gown/dress/outfit?
And does it have to be all white?
How about white with some other color in it? LIke a white dress with some pink, or some flowers in it?
I purchased a beautiful baptismal gown for Widget's baptism, but we are leaning toward immersion over pouring. Since it would be impossible to dress him in it during mass, I think he'll only get to wear it for pictures. So his birthday suit and a towel will be it!
As far as colors- I have seen a few toddlers and older kids wear pastels. The priest will drape a white garment over them after the baptism, so it really doesn't matter what one wears.
Congratulations!
Advertisements
DancinBear63
I purchased a beautiful baptismal gown for Widget's baptism, but we are leaning toward immersion over pouring. Since it would be impossible to dress him in it during mass, I think he'll only get to wear it for pictures. So his birthday suit and a towel will be it!
As far as colors- I have seen a few toddlers and older kids wear pastels. The priest will drape a white garment over them after the baptism, so it really doesn't matter what one wears.
Congratulations!
Congrats!
I adore full immersion baptism. Every time I see one, I get really choked up and emotional. I somehow feel more connected to Jesus in the River Jordan... :love:
In our church, baptism occurs during the mass right after the homily. They do up to 4 or 5 at during one mass and the priest really makes the ceremony beautiful... takes time to explain each step, all the young children gather around the font to watch and participate...
Anyway... sorry got OT, where I meant to go with this is that after the baptism ceremony, is the offertory and the preparation of the gifts - so we have a little room just behind the font where the parents can go in and leave the towels and get the babes all dressed up in their gowns or whatever they choose to wear on them. So for the rest of mass and for pictures with the priest and family after mass, they are all ready. So depending when the ceremony takes place, you may be able to still wear the gown for part of the mass.
Sorry redbonec... didn't mean to go so OT or highjack :) I think a white dress with little light pink flowers or what have you would be perfect!
I agree with the other posts. I have seen a variety of things wore at baptisms. Simply white onepiece outfits, knit dresses, ect.
I echo that the white dress with white flowers sounds adorable.
For my daughter, I took my communion dress and had it made into a baptism dress my a local seamstress. Now it is a family tradition that can be passed down. I look foward to my newest addition wearing for her baptism. We were just matched with our darling baby girl from China this Monday after a four year wait. (sorry OT but I am very excited!!!)
Did you get a dress yet? This is the dress that both of my girls wore for their dedication. It was bought at a store called Dillards and was quite inexpensive compared to what you see online.
Advertisements
Oceanica...how beautiful!!
Our son was baptized this weekend, at four months of age. He did not wear the gown that I had described in an earlier post, because he's not a gown-wearin' kind of guy. Also, our church has temporarily been relocated to the non-air conditioned school gym due to major termite damage. It was about 100 degrees inside, and he would have melted in the gown.
Here's what he wore...actually, he didn't wear the bonnet (although my mom really wanted him to):
Dancin, thanks!!!
Your little guy looks adorable and that does look a little cooler than the standard gown. He's filling out a lot... I love that!! What a cutie.
PS My son Kee had to wear his bonnet for some of the professional pictures we took later but we didn't make him wear it for the actual dedication either!! :-)
Our daughter was between 2 and 3 when she was baptised (we adopted thru foster care) and I got her a first communion dress that was all white. I dont think I'd go with any other color but I agree with the idea of yellow or pink flowers.
HI,
Well, it turns out the dress our first daughter wore (at 12 months) fit our second daughter at her baptism at 9-1/2 months. So they got to wear the same one!
I loved seeing the pics you all posted!
Advertisements
Sorry if I sound uneducated but DH is the catholic in the family. When our adoption is final little guy will likely be almost 3 and a half. We want him to be baptized soon after. Do you think it would be disrespectful to invite our extended family to the baptism and a party after so that they can meet him? Do you think a little light gray suit and white button down shirt would be appropriate?
THat outfit sounds fine. My nephew wore a little white and light blue outfit.
Having anyone come to the baptism and a celebration after would be great.
lovingheart
Sorry if I sound uneducated but DH is the catholic in the family. When our adoption is final little guy will likely be almost 3 and a half. We want him to be baptized soon after. Do you think it would be disrespectful to invite our extended family to the baptism and a party after so that they can meet him? Do you think a little light gray suit and white button down shirt would be appropriate?
Loving - that sounds like a perfect plan for a perfect day! I think Baptism should be celebrated. We had about 40+ family and friends attend the mass where DS was baptized during and about 60 people come to our celebration after! For DD, it was bit smaller, but only because it was shorter notice and on a long weekend when many people were away. We still had about 15 at mass and about 25 at the after celebration.
It is suggested that for older children, a white button up shirt is worn with whatever color pants. So the light grey suit with white shirt is fabulous!
Congrats!
Lovingheart - Its not disrespectful at all! Baptism is an important sacrament and family should be encouraged to attend. The Baptismal Prep team should give you guidelines about dress but usually the only requirement is that some sort of white cloth be present. And often this is given by the church. The outfit you describe sounds adorable to me. Our family has worn the same white tunic my great grandmother made for my Mom when she was baptized. (granted we were all infants) Its simple and nothing fancy and now antique but my Grandmother keeps it along with a list of all who have worn it and their God Parents and its been kind of cool that at some point the baptized and God Parent have worn the same garment. Have fun at the party and intriducing your new son! Bless You!
Advertisements
Thank you. DH has not really been to a lot of baby baptisms. So you all are where I am finding info. It will still be several more months before the adoption happens because the courts here are so back logged so I am thinking the end of this year or early next. Thanks again.
Well, both my children were baptized Catholic and the church gave them the white to wear over their outfits. I did actually find their outfits at an antique store and were not nearly as expensive as buying new.