Advertisements
Advertisements
I was adopted thru Catholic charities of DC in 1966. I was told by CC it could take 6-12 months for a motion to unseal my records to make its way through the system. To make matters worse, an adoption attorney in DC has told me DC has some of the most restrictive and regressive rules withe regard to this issue and basically no petitions are approved unless a significant medical need is proven.
Has anyone had an experience with this in the DC Courts? I am very, very new to this, just decided to search for the first time in 44 years and am deeply disappointed to learn this. Not really sure what to do........
I just looked at the laws for obtaining both non identifying and identifying info for Washington DC and they are none - most other states require non id to be provided without question.
Have you asked CC to provide you with copies of all files with the identifying info blacked out? What about the courts?
You can also sign up on the registry on this site (and search as well) and with ISRR who maintains a database and if a match is found contacts you.
Good luck,
Dickons
Advertisements
I know the previous post was from last year, but I too am just now starting a search after almost 44 years. in the DC area.
Where on this site is a registry???
I went to the courts in DC to get my adoption records unsealed and I was adopted through CC and St Ann's Infant and maternity Home in 1960. I am trying to get them to release the information I already knew so when you write to teh DC courts they will send you the paperwork to fill out and then there is an 80 fee in a money order to send