Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We began fostering our son at 4 months old. He was exposed in utero and after delivery. Tested positive before placed with us.
I had already had two sons, and I thought I could handle it. I was in for a surprise. We literally did not put our son down for hours. He would scream if we even got up from the couch to change the tv channel. My husband mowed the lawn for a couple of years holding my son in his arms. When he was one year old, we drove from Phoenix to Salt Lake City. Longest drive of my life. He screamed non stop for all but one hour of the drive. Unfortunately, we were driving in a blizzard, and the usual 12 hour drive turned into about 17.
My son is now six years old, and he has been on meds since age three. He was very agressive and still is if not on regulated meds. He headbutts, spits (in my face), kicks, pinches, scratches. Most of the time he responds well to meds, but he has few friends, if any.
We are his friends. He has very controlling behaviors. Diagnosed adhd/odd. He is triggered easily.
I love my sweet heart. We want to help him as best we can. When regulated, he is just an active, typical boy who is high maintenance. Unregulated, he is the kid from hell. We have been in therapy for three years. I won't lie to you. It has been one of the most difficult things I've ever done. But, I wouldn't swap my son for anyone else, and we are his forever family.
However, my neighbor fostered and adopted two meth babies. One might have mild adhd. The other seems unaffected. Both are about six and seven years old.
They seem well adjusted and never have had therapy.