Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone. We live in an older home (built in the 1930s) and we need to replace our windows. We've been shopping (and getting revived after we heard the prices) and we're trying to decide whether to go with the new vinyl windows, which have some nice features and are less expensive, or to go with the wood, which are more expensive, but more architecturally accurate for our home.
I'd love to hear from any of you who have done this. What did you decide to get and why? Do you like the results?
I'm trying to take into account the durability and affordability with the tradition of the wood, and the potential effect on re-sale at some point.
Thanks so much!
Anne
I HATE my wooden windows. They have rotted in so many places, they leak, it is going to cost me a fortune to replace them some day. (This is a new house that is 6 years old!!)
Advertisements
I agree...I replaced all the wood windows in my previous house due to rot with vinyl and they were so much more energy effecient and easier to clean that I would never go back to wood. I have all vinyl in my new house too.
Can't speak to aesthetic value of wood in a 1930's house...but for resale on energy efficiency and ease of use I would think vinyl would win.
I live in a house that was built in 1904, so it's only wood for me. I've been looking into getting custom made double pane wooden windows. I can't do them all at once due to costs. If windows and sills are constructed properly, the rot and water damage should not even exist. I still have original windows that are fine, but they are painted, so no rot. Vinyl windows are cheaper, easier to upkeep adn you could easily get them installed.
our house was built in 1909 and we are very committed to keeping the architectural integrity of the house so it's wood for us. personally, i wouldn't consider ever using vinyl in an old house. and really, if you take care of them they should last for a very long time, i can't imagine what becky's builder used that they are rotting after that amount of time, it's odd.
and as for energy efficiency, the newer wood windows should be plenty efficient if they are rated properly.
one thing you might want to consider is tilt pacs. our frames were in decent (enough) shape so we used these last year when we replaced ALL of the windows.
[url=http://www.marvin.com/?page=Tilt_Pac_Double_Hung]Marvin Tilt Pac Window Sash Replacement Kit - Marvin Windows and Doors[/url]
they are much less expensive than replacing the whole window and frame.
good luck with your decision (wood). ;)
What my builder used was CHEAP windows. It is a problem throughout our neighborhood....all new construction and almost everyone I know has leaking, rotting windows!
Advertisements
Becky-- So sorry to hear about your bad windows! If all the neighbors are having the same problems they definitely used something they shouldn't. Do you mind sharing the brand of windows (if you know)?
Thanks,
Anne
What a project! Our home was built in 1922 and we had the same problem. We ended up with the vinyl, but found that we could purchase them with a wood-tone on the inside and the white on the outside (we have the full grid). They look fantastic and have REALLY helped with our heating bills this year!!
Good luck!!
:flower:
I have no idea the brand...I just know that I fought with the builder for the first year we moved in about my leaking windows...and they came out over and over to 'fix' them. Here I am 6 years later when the builder is long gone and I probably need to replace about 1/2 of the windows in my home...including some really large palladian type windows. I cannot even imagine the costs involved!!!
We build new and put in Pella wood windows and love it. My parents did Pella wood 23 years ago and theirs are still good. Now Home depot caries them. I would not buy a house with vinyl as I did not like the vinyl we put in at a previous home. They were "sweaty" and bulky. Maybe there are better ones now.
Advertisements
We build new and put in Pella wood windows and love it. My parents did Pella wood 23 years ago and theirs are still good. Now Home depot caries them. I would not buy a house with vinyl, especially one that is supposed to have wood windows because of its time frame, as I did not like the vinyl we put in at a previous home. They were "sweaty" and bulky. Maybe there are better ones now. Also the vinyl ones grew mold within less then a year. Glad not to have them any more. Anna
That's a tough call with the age house you have. If not for the age of the house I'd go with vinyl for convenience and lack of maintenence. We've never had a problem with our vinyl windows sweating or molding.
Our house was built in the early '60s. It had all wood Anderson windows that were painted on the outside and in rough shape. For what it was going to cost to get them painted and refurbished (storms fixed, screens repaired, painting, broken weights repaired, etc.) we put new vinyl in throughout the house. The vinyl don't need storm windows, have top and bottom screens and tilt in to clean. I love my vinyl windows.
Our house was built in 1942 and we have recently replaced our windows with vinyl, we also replaced the wood work around them. They are great:) Easy to clean and I think look very nice!
Our old windows were so terrible and the new ones make me soooo happy!
Good Luck!!!
Hi guys,
You will be jolly to know that,i have recently renovate my home with window and door both from [URL="http://www.patuxentrenovations.com/"]Kitchen Cabinet Replacement [/URL],i found here all my requirements and satisfied too with that.Vinyl and many more things are available here with economic rang and services are also fine,so enjoy with it.
Thanks
Regards
Lew Crippen
Advertisements
The best option for you will be installing [URL="http://gtawindows.com/"]vinyl windows Toronto[/URL] in your home. Gone are the times of wooden windows. Vinyl windows have been the choice of most homeowners for the past few years. On account of durability and affordability also the vinyl windows takes away all credit.
I have recently replaced all the iron windows & doors with timber and sash windows. I find it quiet good.