Advertisements
Advertisements
Has there been a RAD diagnosis?
My dd had many RAD symptoms when she was placed at almost 4yo. I didn't know anything about RAD and was pointed in that direction by this site. I read everything I could, continued with her play therapy and had her evaluated. I became pretty convinced that she had RAD and her doctor was in agreement and wanted to prescribe more than one medication for her. I decided not to medicate her and instead looked for a RAD therapist because everything that I was reading told me that the play therapy she was in was the opposite of what she needed. To make a long story short, while I was trying to find a suitable therapist, I used books about RAD as reference and tailored my parenting to her needs. I identified her need for closure with a previous foster parent and was able to help her get that closure. Her adoption was finalized when she was almost five and this added some stability. Things started to even out over time.
She is now just an awesome, regular kid. She is not in therapy or on medications. She is bossy to the core and learning how to manage that as time goes by.
My point for this long post is that my dd doesn't have RAD. She likely was suffering from anxiety, depression, PTSD... We went through hell for a year and some days weren't sure we would make it and she didn't have RAD. RAD is a very serious diagnosis and there is a big difference between having RAD symptoms and actually having RAD. I'm curious if the term is being used too loosely in some cases. I hope that is the case for these boys.
I saw in your signature that you are expecting placement of twins in the near future. Please find out more about these boys before you make any decisions. Maybe you can speak to his doctor or therapist. I mean no disrespect and I truly wish the best for you but I don't think you realize what caring for a child with RAD will entail. I just hope you can go into it armed with information and eyes wide open! Best of luck to you and all the boys!
And a big shout out to all moms of kids with RAD! :love: