Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello! We had our almost 4 yr old son evalulated as he was having some difficulties in pre-school & at home. We received the report back & we have our IEP mtg this Friday. I am not sure yet if he is eligible for services but I had my brother-in-law who is a child psychologist review the report & he told me it looks like he has a Auditory Processing issue. He scored really low on Receptive language & Attention/Memory. Other areas were pretty normal. Has anyone dealt with this & did your child get services? DS was adopted at 14 months. Where did you find someone who specializes in this? I am already preparing myself for the school to not give him services but I hope I am wrong.
Thanks!
I have a 14yo daughter who has CAPD(central auditory processing disorder). She was dx'd a few years back. We brought Yana home at 8.5. She was evalutated by an ENT. There is only ONE here in the area that specializes in it. We are in NC. IF the schools test the child, they will NOT get the same results as they are testing in a quiet environment. Duh. However, the schools here will disagree w/ all the professionals and results. My daughter can hear, but can not hear w/ background noise or process the info. She is the only one who stillhas an accent here and who can barely be understood w/ her speech. They refused to give her speech OR an FM system. And we even volunteered to pay for the FM system. URGHH. IF you have a good school system in your area, your child w/ CAPD can indeed benefit from services. If not, you are in for a long haul. Depending upon severity( our daughter's was on the severe end...very severe end of it), an FM system will help along w/ some other mods. Good luck.
Advertisements
Steph I was hoping you would post, I remember your story about Yana!
As always you are a great source of info!
CAPD is usually dx-ed by neuro pyschologist and then treated by a Speech and Language Therapist. Not just a general speech therapist - there is a difference and you want one with experience in CAPD.
Our school did not recognize this dx until we had the eval done privately. We pay for this therapy privately and hope that the insurance will reimburse us.
THanks everyone. I am looking now for someone who specializes in CAPD as I am pretty sure I will need to get my own eval done. There are budget cuts going on now in NJ schools so I am not very hopeful for how the meeting with go this week.
Hi, my son is severely speech delayed and getting services through the school district. I was told that 4 is too young for an official diagnosis of CAPD, although we suspect it with our son.
You will want to ask your pediatrician about who to call for evaluation of his speech delay. Services vary from state to state and county to county. We have a horrible budget situation here in California, but it has not affected Special Ed services, which are federally mandated.
There is also a yahoo group about CAPD which is fairly active.
Advertisements
My nephew (now 21) has auditory processing disorder and some other learning disabilities. He got a comprehensive evaluation in NJ from the Laurie Institute, which I believe is now part of Robert Wood Johnson - it is in that geographic area. You can also check into Children's Specialized Hospital for special needs evaluation. They have several location spread out across NJ. Your pediatrician should be able to recommend someone as well.