Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I got the census form and have a question as to how you all are filling it out. So question number #5 asks for Spanish origin, etc. I understood that and put down Guatemalan for my children. However, #6 asks for race. There is no box for Spanish, Hispanic, etc. Above it says that Hispanic origins are not considered races for this census. Am I supposed to be checking "white" for #6? It seems weird to be checking that as their races but I'm not sure what else to put. There is an "other" box to write in a race, but I'm not sure what to put there because they aren't considering hispanic origins as a race. How have you all handled?
Thanks.
Devora
Are you really Caucasian?
Well, that's what I was taught in elementary school science and in college sociology, and I've never been told differently until today. Even my friends from India identify as Caucasian when it comes to "race."
I was taught that there are actually only a small handful of "races." I was originally taught 5. Later I was taught it was more like 3.
I guess it depends on how you define "race."
But I can't accept the term "white" as a race. It just suggests too many things I don't believe in.
I leave these questions blank on most documents anyway.
Advertisements
SKL
Here's what I wrote.
Me: Some other race: "Caucasion" (I am not white).
Kids: Yes, other Hispanic: "Born in Guatemala"; Some other race: "Indigenous American."
Enough info for them to figure it out.
I am very suspicious of the separate question about Hispanic origin. I smell a huge agenda. The whole race/ethnicity business has me quite irritated. It takes up the majority of the census. I'd leave it blank if I thought it was allowed.
Well were I live they are currently stopping people in Walmart and on the road if they look Hispanic and they are checking paperwork. One friend, legal, has been stopped twice over the last week. It makes me very uncomfortable. Several of my children are adults now and I guess sooner or later they will ahve problems. I already had that with my older Guatemalan/African son. They also kept on insiting he was illegal eventhough he had a COC and US passport. No people everyone that is brown is not here illegal or Hispanic (as the case for my Pacific Islander children). Sorry grumpy. Anna
My local news site says you're required to answer all questions to the best of your ability, and you can be prosecuted if you leave anything blank. Well, I don't know if that's true, but I figured it was best to get the darn thing behind me.
Devora
Are you really Caucasian? That term technically refers to the following people:
Abkhazians (including Abazins)
Adyghe (including Kabardins and modern day Cherkes)
Ubykh
Avars
Aguls
Dargins
Khinalug
Laks
Lezgins
Bats
Kists
Chechens
Ingush
Rutuls
Tabasarans
Tsakhurs
Udins
Archins
Georgians
Adjarians
Svans
Mingrelians
Lazs
In physical anthropology it's used a bit differently, but in terms of social demographics these are the people who are Caucasian. It's a term that's been used in the US to refer to anyone of European descent, but that's not actually correct.
huh. i learn so much here. lol. i did not know this. thanks!
For what it is worth, here is how I responded. My son's referral information stated 'nonindigenous', but I know that his birth mother did not speak Spanish as her first language (and we have no information on birth father). From what I've read, there is no 'right or wrong' answer to these questions - it is how one identifies himself/herself.
#8 - Is person of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?
Checked 'Yes - another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin' and wrote in 'Guatemalan'.
#9 - What is person's race?
Since it says you can check more than one, I checked 'White' and 'Some Other Race' and wrote in 'Mayan'.
Advertisements
I did not think anything of the questions on the census when I first read it, but then after a while I thought - they ask "are you hispanic/latino"? And then what I was thinking when I read the next question was - if you answer YES you are hispanic/latino, the government says - well, we don't want you to be hispanic/latino, so pick something else! Unbelievable. We will answer - OTHER for our beautiful hispanic/latino son!
Patgary, the categories selected for placement on the census were done to incorporate choices suggested by minority groups themselves, including hispanic/latinos.
Race and ethnicity are NOT the same thing, and that is why there are two separate questions. As one example, there are, in fact, black hispanics and white hispanics.
I am not sure why racial or ethnic categories are needed on the census anymore, though there seem to be some hand-waving explanations around that. At the same time, I don't see any agenda by the government related to asking these questions. I also don't understand the objections to the census in this day and age when folks will tweet, blog, or post any personal information that pops into their heads but refuse to check a box on a form from the government.
erinelway
Race and ethnicity are NOT the same thing, and that is why there are two separate questions. As one example, there are, in fact, black hispanics and white hispanics.
Two of my Hispanic children are African/Mayan Indian. By the way all of my children had Guatemalan on their adoption paperwork but none look alike in racial make up except for my DS 20 and DD 18 as they are bio siblings. All are beautiful. Variety is the spice of life.
Anna
Advertisements
If ethnicity is important enough to be one of the very few questions on the census, then why is only Hispanic ethnicity counted? Are there no other ethnicities in the USA than Hispanic and Not-Hispanic?
Also, the way they ask it goes beyond ethincity. They have decided that if your country of origin is on their list, your ethicity is Hispanic, and I don't agree with that. As is often pointed out, many of our kids' birth moms don't even speak Spanish; aside from the fact that many have been living in the USA in non-Hispanic families since before they could walk, speak, or eat an ethnic Guatemalan meal. Yet the census says our kids' ethnicity is Hispanic. Whatever they are trying to count, they seem to be going about it the wrong way.
I discovered if you have more than 6 people in your family
#7 and on are "other people in the household" and you don't even fill in the "race/ethnicity" question.
Mary
mom to Bobby 12, Bridget 11, Angela 9, Eddie 5 (home 2005) and Naldo 2 (home Feb. 08)
I have two children who are "Hispanic", but.... It was interesting to try to fill out the form for the census. One is "Hispanic" of Mexican origin, but the other is more complex and I wasn't sure how to figure it all out! Wish I'd read this thread FIRST. :D Neither is from Guatamala, so I didn't think to look on this forum for info. :rolleyes:
These questions always stymie me, in every place I'm asked them. My children are at least 50% or more Hispanic; my dh and I are both of European origin, several countries each. BUT we are all Caucasian, as Hispanic is an ethnic group as part of Caucasian from what I've read. Yes, I can report their ACTUAL ethnic background, down to the percents, but there's so much more to the picture if I try to get my brain around it.
As soon as we add, "how are our children being raised?", the picture changes. They are being raised in a predominantly Caucasian environment and even though they know their full story and visit with birthfamilies, they don't think of themselves as Hispanic -- even though our family has a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture/history/foods/etc. than their birthfamilies. I figure it's my children's choices as they grow up to decide how they want to identify. It's their information to select. I suppose at the crux of it for me is why do I need to define my children's multi-ethnic origin for the census? How does that assist any program that we'll never have a need for based on their ethnicity or race? I work with multi-ethnic and multi-racial students at a university daily and those students have all taught me that their ethnicity and race is their information to choose when they share it -- and how they celebrate it all.
Then, I have to mark one or two little boxes on a form -- My pen hovered over those boxes, left the room, came back. It really isn't rocket science but for an adoptive mom, it drives me crazy! susan
Advertisements
Oh I remember that from last time.With 16 bodies it gets interesting. Anna
mevertin
I discovered if you have more than 6 people in your family
#7 and on are "other people in the household" and you don't even fill in the "race/ethnicity" question.
Mary
mom to Bobby 12, Bridget 11, Angela 9, Eddie 5 (home 2005) and Naldo 2 (home Feb. 08)
It's their information to select. I suppose at the crux of it for me is why do I need to define my children's multi-ethnic origin for the census? How does that assist any program that we'll never have a need for based on their ethnicity or race? I work with multi-ethnic and multi-racial students at a university daily and those students have all taught me that their ethnicity and race is their information to choose when they share it -- and how they celebrate it all.
I fully agree with your post and due to the vague answers that have been provided regarding racial/ethnic questions on the Census, I don't really know why this information is at all relevant with regard to any social programs. Regarding completing the Census in general, however, I have a slightly different take. I don't really think it's an invasive question and I don't mind filling it out, because quite frankly the US government already knows our internationally adopted kids' ethnicity and quite possibly their race as well.