Advertisements
Advertisements
My little guy's hair is giving me problems. He has so many textures: straight, silky curly, kinky curly, So I am up to my eyeballs in different hair stuff between all 4 of us. Anyhow, I cannot see spending tons of money on a little boy's twa.
Anyhow in CVS I found this product (8 dollars) and tried it in his damp hair this morning. So far... it looks good. It has a nice sheen, no overpowering smell, all of the textures are behaving, not weighed down. The kinky curl part curled up. Fingers crossed for how he looks this afternoon. Hopefully without small rocks, cafeteria roll crumbs, and twigs stuck to the product. lol
Made in Canada....True Professional Curl Envy Perfect Curl cream.
[URL="http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/search_results.jsp?oss=1&removeAllFacets=true&addFacet=SRCH:marc%20anthony"]iSearch: All Search Results Page CVS/pharmacy Online[/URL]
It's a different generation using relaxers. When I was a child you just didn't use chemicals on a child's hair. Now it seems you are an odd ball when you don't. I had DD's and my braids redone this weekend. I couldn't believe the number women in that salon with self-inflicted damage to their hair. It was pretty obvious that weaves have destroyed the natural hairlines of many of them. They got weaves for the length but eventually they end up stuck with them to hide all the damage that weaves cause. I would have slapped on a wig and waited until my hair grew back instead of causing more damage.
Advertisements
Fe Hair Update -
After wearing my hair in natural styles for the better part of 6 mos, I decided to blow dry and flat-iron for a weekend trip. It's impossible to travel with natural hair and NOT check a bag due to the liquid restrictions. So I flat-ironed and only had to travel with bobby pins (for pin curls).
I compared my hair to my passport photo that was taken a year-ago... my hair has grown a good 4 inches. It was gorgeous for the first couple of days, but I need to practice pin curls... ugh, something else to learn!
What's funny is that I missed my natural hair texture and spritzed it down with water last night... lol
My current hair staples: Aussie Moist Deep conditioner, olive oil and Lacio Lacio leave-in. Oh, and I'm now using the Naturetint hair color (thanks Sleep!) The stylist that flat-ironed my hair actually complimented the color (I'm using the Black/Brown). I want to try jojoba (sp?) oil, but I haven't bumped into it yet.
I go back to my old posts about hair and it's hilarious how inept I was with my own hair, and scared to even try...
Maybe a stupid question, but what do you do with the olive oil? And where do you get Lacio Lacio leave in?
It's not a dumb question... but I did giggle :) Only because I use olive oil for a ton of things - cooking, bathing DD and my hair.
For my hair and DDs bath, I use the cheap store brand stuff... go for the one that says "light" it doesn't have as much of a scent as the good stuff you would use in cooking. For my hair I mix a little in my hand with the Lacio Lacio and rub it throughout my wet (or sometimes damp) hair. I buy the conditioner from Amazon... see below.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Lacio-Shine-Conditioner-Health-Beauty/dp/B000U0CAYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334498166&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Star Lacio Lacio High Shine Leave in Hair Conditioner 7oz. [Health and Beauty]: Beauty[/url]
Not every product works on every head though... Lacio is great for me (3b/3c), but really kinda just okay for DD (4a/4b).
usisarah
Maybe a stupid question, but what do you do with the olive oil? And where do you get Lacio Lacio leave in?
I've been debating using olive oil in my hair. The texture is no where near that of an AA person, but it is super frizzy and I can't ever seem to find a product that doesn't cause build up after using for a few weeks. DD has pretty bad eczema (sp?) and I use baby oil in the bath but I was wondering if olive oil would be better. Baby oil seemed to do the trick when he was first born but now his skin seems to have a ton more dry patches on it.
Maybe another dumb question...Do you use any kind of gel on your hair, or just the olive oil and leave in?
Advertisements
I would definitely make the switch to olive oil for DD's skin. My DD doesn't have eczema, but her skin can get dry. So a little olive oil and a good thick lotion usually does the trick. My go-to is True Blue Spa's Shea Butter Body Cream from Bath and Body Works.
I do not use any type of gel on my hair. I hesitate to give any advice on your hair though... I've only just begun to get a handle on my own :) and couldn't begin to tell you how to deal with frizzy caucasian hair! Sorry!
usisarah
I've been debating using olive oil in my hair. The texture is no where near that of an AA person, but it is super frizzy and I can't ever seem to find a product that doesn't cause build up after using for a few weeks. DD has pretty bad eczema (sp?) and I use baby oil in the bath but I was wondering if olive oil would be better. Baby oil seemed to do the trick when he was first born but now his skin seems to have a ton more dry patches on it.
Maybe another dumb question...Do you use any kind of gel on your hair, or just the olive oil and leave in?
Check sites out like mixed chicks, and another that covers all types of curly hair folks see the link below. Have you tried Wen as yet? or sulfate free hair wash?
[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/topics/view/wavy-hair-type-2]Wavy Hair (Type 2) - NaturallyCurly.com[/url]
My nephew has bad eczema, I used a triple approach for his rough patches. It worked, it consisted of shea mix (if not allergic) another was vit a and d ointment. There is the thick Eucerin cream in a tub, another is found at Bath and BodyWorks: made of shea. True Blue..body spa: I used this on my son who had eczema who as a toddler/preschooler. Olive oil in the bath tub is good. However with nephew he needed a daily coating or two of ointment (non steroid for non flare-up days)to keep the patches soft, and non scaly. I rubbed the ointment etc in my hand, then gently rubbed it over the bad areas.
usisarah
All I can say to this is cool beans! I will have to retire my :popcorn: and do this :happydance:
The only jojoba I have used is African Pride, but that is for my legs and arms etc; it makes my scalp itchy. You may find another brand of higher quality via a google search.
Fe2002
Fe Hair Update -
After wearing my hair in natural styles for the better part of 6 mos, I decided to blow dry and flat-iron for a weekend trip. It's impossible to travel with natural hair and NOT check a bag due to the liquid restrictions. So I flat-ironed and only had to travel with bobby pins (for pin curls).
I compared my hair to my passport photo that was taken a year-ago... my hair has grown a good 4 inches. It was gorgeous for the first couple of days, but I need to practice pin curls... ugh, something else to learn!
What's funny is that I missed my natural hair texture and spritzed it down with water last night... lol
My current hair staples: Aussie Moist Deep conditioner, olive oil and Lacio Lacio leave-in. Oh, and I'm now using the Naturetint hair color (thanks Sleep!) The stylist that flat-ironed my hair actually complimented the color (I'm using the Black/Brown). I want to try jojoba (sp?) oil, but I haven't bumped into it yet.
I go back to my old posts about hair and it's hilarious how inept I was with my own hair, and scared to even try...
The Eucerin in the tub worked perfect for DD but DS seems to be way worse. Steroid creme doesn't seem to work near as well on him as DD either. I use shea butter on myself...I should try it on him with an olive oil bath.
I haven't tried Wen yet because I can't decide if I want to spend the money. I should just try it and see what happens. I'm thinking from your link Nick that I'm a 3b. I may start with the olive oil and see how it does then bite the bullet and go with wen.
Advertisements
I bit the bullet and got the WEN sampler kit. I wasn't too happy with it at first, but then I accidentally found a method that works for my hair.
I use their deep cleansing conditioner every two or three days. The other days, at night I rinse my hair thoroughly and use a Nexxus conditioner as a leave-in over night. Then in the morning I use the WEN Re Moist Intensive Hair Treatment cream as a leave-in all day. This stuff is supposed to be just a 15 minute leave-in, and at first I thought it would leave my hair all gunky, but it didn't. The stuff is pretty expensive - $32 for a month's supply for me. I would think an AA person would have to use a lot more than I do to make it work, if what I do would even work on AA hair texture.
I'm cheap. I use the Sally knock-off of Wen for curly hair. The instructions say you can use it as a leave in conditioner and I was kind of skeptical about it thinking it was too heavy as a leave-in. It is awesome as a leave-in for our hair. I caught the 32 ounce bottle on sale for $19.99. I should have bought two of them.
[url=http://www.sallybeauty.com/cleansing-conditioner/SBS-737114,default,pd.html?green=06269645-7dde-47ed-9f67-f4d501a26681&cm_vc=MYBUYS]Fiske - Hair One - Hair One Argan Oil Hair Cleanser Conditioner For Curly Hair[/url]
Ooooh I'm gonna have to try that one. How long did the 32oz bottle last you? Do you have to get it online or is it available in the store?
Turns out it is a liter bottle so it is 33.8 ounces. It is available online and it is $27.99. I would wait until it goes on sale again for $19.99. I knew I should have bought two bottles. Oh well...
Found another Wen knock off via a hair stylist review of the Sally product. RiteAid has Renpure.... $9.99 for 16 oz. They have Sweet Pomegranate and Rosemary Mint.
[url=http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/Renpure-Conditioner-Cleansing-Sweet-Pomegranate/dp/B0081CWUD4?field_availability=-1&field_browse=3003305011&field_keywords=ren&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Renpure+Conditioner+Cleansing+Sweet+Pomegranate&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchKeywords=ren&searchNodeID=3003305011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12]Renpure Conditioner, Cleansing, Ren Sweet Pomegranate 16 fl oz (473 ml) : moisturizing conditioners[/url]
Advertisements
The liter bottle should last a few months with two of us using it 1 or 2 times a week. DD swims year round and we use it as a leave-in conditioner after the swim shampoo. The chlorine makes her hair dry and hard but the cleansing conditioner as a leave-in makes it really soft.
Sleeplvr, I've moved on from NatureTint to henna... yeah, I'm big time now! :) Have you tried it yet? If so, what has been your experience? It really does make your hair appear/feel thicker and makes it extra shiny looking. I love it.. but it's time consuming.