Advertisements
Advertisements
You are totally normal.
Many people in the adoption process go through so many mood swings that they think they are "cracking up". One minute, they love their agency; the next minute, they hate it. One minute they are so excited that, at long last, they are going to have a baby; the next minute, they are scared green because they aren't sure they want to be parents.
One minute they are busily studying the culture and language of the country from which they are adopting, and getting excited about the travel; the next minute, they are saying, "But will I be able to relate to a child who doesn't look like me?" One minute, they are spending wildly on baby things; the next minute, they are saying, "Raising kids is so expensive; I don't know how we'll manage." One minute, they are reading parenting books cover to cover in order to be the best parents possible; the next, they are convinced that their child-to-be will be so damaged that they will not be able to parent her and will have to decline the referral or disrupt the placement.
While the mechanism isn't quite like pregnancy hormones, many adoptive families refer to their wild emotions as adoption hormones. Basically, there is a great deal of stress in adoption, and it often manifests itself as a sequence of emotional highs and lows. In fact, once the child comes home, there is often a certain amount of mild depression, as people "come down" from the stress and find that their body misses the excitement.
So do ask yourself tough questions to make sure that you are ready to adopt, choose an ethical agency as your partner, deal with all the paperwork, handle the wait, and so on. And do plenty of research, so you are well prepared for the challenges, once your child is home. But don't expect the doubts and fears to disappear; they will be part of the process till you have your child in your arms. And do expect that the stress of the process will "get to you" sometimes.
Sharon