Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I'm so very sad for the children and families caught in this hold period. I pray that it will be brief. I also hope that it is productive, and results in a less constantly-worried-that-something-will-change-or-cause-problems process than it has been of late.
To any of you caught in this wait, hang in there! This stoppage is not just reactionary with no end in sight. Hopefully the meetings taking place next week will help get things back on track - and hopefully whatever next steps that come out of the meeting are implemented quickly.
Whatever steps are taken, IMHO, the authorities involved need to realize that adding more upfront "screening" for PAPs is not the answer. Both sides need to acknowledge that some of the children will need help beyond the parents' own capabilities, and there needs to be assistance and services available to parents post-adoption when/if they need it. And of course, agencies need to better prepare PAPs for any and all possible issues their children may face.
Yesterday, the Diane Rehm show on NPR focused on international adoption - specifically the challenges of international adoption, a discussion sparked by the recent issue with the TN woman. Also interviewed was the Washington bureau chief from the Russian news agency. Very interesting.
Guests
Thomas DiFilipo president and C.E.O. of Joint Council on International Children's Services
Janice Goldwater founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization Adoptions Together. Since 1990 the agency has been settling children in permanent, loving families and providing a full spectrum of supportive services to keep families strong. She is began her career as a social worker as a marriage and family therapist before moving into child welfare in 1984.
Jane Aronson pediatrician who specializes in adoption medicine and orphaned children. She is also the founder and C.E.O. of Worldwide Orphans Foundation (WWO). WWO is an international organization dedicated to transforming the lives of orphaned children worldwide by addressing their unique needs through medical, developmental, psychosocial and educational programs.
[url=http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio-player?nid=12403]Audio Player | The Diane Rehm Show from WAMU and NPR[/url]