Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hey there!
I hate to even ask you this but not sure really who to contact and thought you might know who I/they can contact to get some help.
When my parents filed their income tax this year they try to claim the new adoption credit that Obama signed into law. They sent all the information that was asked for... got the same letter about "reviewing information and you will hear something by said date" and then a second letter stating another 4 weeks... and they got a letter yesterday from the IRS stating that my parents now OWE the IRS $5000 for over-filing because of them filing for the credit. They are stating they accepted all the adoption paperwork except one and that the one in question was not from an authorized agency... it was Lakeview in Pensacola (FamiliesFirst/DCF) who is the state's foster care program runners. My parents are in their late 60s... the girls that they adopted are biological sisters that were in foster care... the youngest one, who is now 4 years old, was in medical foster care for a seizure condition and both of the girls were born with drugs in their system. According to the bylaws I read for the tax credit (which should have given my parents $24,000) the adopted child must be needy, medically need and/or a sibling group... these girls meet all those. My mother is beside herself worrying... they don't have $5000 to pay the IRS and I am trying to tell her not to flip out and that we need to look into this. They are both retired and aren't rich by any means, they live off of my father's retirement from Armstrong World Industries plant in Pensacola and what they both get from social security. They live in Chumuckla, FL... I am in Covington, LA so I am trying to help them from a distance. They are older and not very computer/technology savvy.
Any help you guys could give or info would be great.
Thanks so much!!!