Advertisements
Advertisements
Do you know if we can do an "identified" adoption under the Hague convention rules as it pertains to Guatemala? I realize that the country is still closed, but when it reopens I want to know if we would be able to adopt a baby girl that we already know.
Thank you,
Scott
Ok -not sure what happened so if this shows up 2x's sorry.
I would love to know the answer to this as well. I don't know about the Hague requirements but CNA has stated that they would be making the referrals. So as far as an "identified" adoption - very good question. We are also interested in a specific special needs child. I have been able to confirm that CNA has identified this child as available for international adoption so you may want to dig around and find that out. Not sure how you would go about that because I don't know your situation. For us we are in constant contact with the organization who oversees the care of the child.
One thing is that CNA has stated that the pilot program would be older, special needs and siblings. If you hear anything let me know and I will do the same.
Thanks
Advertisements
This is purely speculation by someone who is not directly involved in Guatemalan adoption, but I think that there will be a big difference between an identified child living with his/her biological family and an identified child living in an orphanage.
A lot of the corruption that goes on in adoption around the world relates to bribing or coercing women to relinquish their children, or misrepresenting to them the finality of the adoption. These are among the types of things that the Hague treaty was specifically designed to prevent.
As a result, I think it will be hard to adopt a child who is currently living with his/her birth family, especially if you have ever provided any sort of financial support to that family.
As to a child who is in a government approved orphanage or foster care program, it probably will be a bit easier, especially if he/she has been there for a signficant period of time with no birthparent contact, or if he/she already has an official decree of abandonment.
But no one is going to know the rules precisely until they are published.
Sharon