Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all!
I know it's been a while! I have two little girls placed me, ages almost 3 and 15 months. Mom and dad are drug addicted and married and were ordered to go into inpatient rehab. Dad is noncompliant and doing outpatient and has been removed twice from his program for not attending. Mom just entered inpatient last week and she's in a "mommy and me" program. I am getting different info from the caseworkers as to when the children will supposedly go to live with her in the facility. The kids caseworker told me there is a 90 day no contact, "blackout" period where she will not have any contact with the kids. The transportation worker told me that she has seen cases where the kids are moved 28 days after the mom has entered treatment. Court is in the beginning of June. If dad is noncompliant, will the judge move to tpr even if mom is doing well? Can the kids be moved back with mom if dad is still testing positive? This is soooooo confusing! Does anyone have any incite or experience with this? Thanks!-Kate
When my fD went to mommy an me rehab, it was less then 90 Days from when mom went in. I wasn't too happy with the quickness of it. But, it workeD out an RU went well.
Advertisements
My FD's mom was in this program. There was a 28 day blackout when she first went in and then weekly visits started up again. FD was RU'd with her in about 3 & 1/2 months. It was a good program and mom and FD are doing great.
Our little guy was transferred to rehab with his mother after about a month of her being transferred from jail into a residential rehab mother/child program (although we had no idea and only got a few days notice :().
Concerning rights: since both parents have parental rights, each is treated separately. If father is not complying but mother is, they will not necessarily go forward with terminating his rights unless mother becomes uncompliant as well and adoption becomes the goal. Otherwise, they'll likely continue with the goal of reunification.
If one of our cases helps to serve as an example, reasonable efforts to reunify were not required for the mother, thereby mandating a permanency 30 days after that ruling. However, at the permanency hearing, TPR was not initiated as they had to have six months of abandonment from the father before they could motion to terminate his rights as well (as there were not grounds to rule no reasonable efforts for him based on his lack of history with DYFS). Funnily, he was likely not even our child's biological father (imagine two AA parents and a snow white child) -- he refused a paternity test and took responsibility for the baby, but refused to visit, comply, etc.). So we still had to wait out those six months, all the while while DYFS did everything in their power to reunify with the father, and relatives...adn once TPR was motioned for, DYFS had to contact adoptive families of our child's half-siblings to see if they would adopt our baby in the interest of keeping children (who never saw each other in their lives) together.
I personally believe there should be a law that prohibits reunification and/or cohabitation of children with addicted parents until such parents are able to substantiate sobriety in an uncontrolled, unmonitored environment for at least six months. In fact, I wrote a legislative bill that I tried to get on the table -- but I didn't have the energy or heart to move it up the latter at the time because I was so devistated...then it kind of fell through the cracks. :( I still wonder what happened to our little guy and there will always be a void in my heart. For his sake, I hope his mom passed everything with flying colors.
Because I've been through it, I'm biased--I hope your kiddos stay with you.
Best wishes,
Jennifer
I think it is looking more like this case is going toward the reunification route. It is really going to be devastating to us. These little ones are doing so well here and it's hard to justify them moving, but I know that this is what we signed up for as we are only a Plan B for DYFS. Dad is now in a detox program and mom is doing well in her program. She's been there for 3 weeks, but has made amends with her parents with whom she was estranged. She told her husband that he either needed to get into a program or she was going to divorce him. It does make me feel better that she will have a support system within her family as I've had contact with them and they seem to care. I also know that these cases are dynamic in nature and nothing is written in stone. I just have a gut level feeling that this is the way it's going. I just pray that we are given the strength and grace to deal with whatever is handed to us. I guess that's all anyone can hope! Thanks for listening!-Kate
copswife166
I think it is looking more like this case is going toward the reunification route. It is really going to be devastating to us. These little ones are doing so well here and it's hard to justify them moving, but I know that this is what we signed up for as we are only a Plan B for DYFS. Dad is now in a detox program and mom is doing well in her program. She's been there for 3 weeks, but has made amends with her parents with whom she was estranged. She told her husband that he either needed to get into a program or she was going to divorce him. It does make me feel better that she will have a support system within her family as I've had contact with them and they seem to care. I also know that these cases are dynamic in nature and nothing is written in stone. I just have a gut level feeling that this is the way it's going. I just pray that we are given the strength and grace to deal with whatever is handed to us. I guess that's all anyone can hope! Thanks for listening!-Kate
Kate,
It sounds really hard and I give you tremendous credit for your strength. It sounds like the parents (mom at least) are really trying to make it work for their kids. I hope they are successful and they can make a good home for these wonderful kids.
I'm so sorry that you will have to lose them though. I can now imagine the pain - now that I am in love with my FS.
Advertisements