Advertisements
Advertisements
We have a bedroom that is 16' by 12.5' and we were hoping that it would be big enough for three fc.
1.) Can anyone tell me the space requirements for the bedrooms?
We plan on fostering ages 0-4, and want something cute, but not too babified incase we have an older child. I was thinking of going with a jungle babies theme. But I'm not sure and I don't want to leave the walls white.
2.) How did you decorate the fc bedroom?
For the closet I bought a bunch of the clear shoe box totes and labeled them (0-3 mos, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, and 2t boy, 2t girl, etc.)
3.) Are there any other organization tips that you have that have really come in handy?
I am so excited and we haven't even been licenced yet!!
Thanks so much for all of your help, I appreciate it:woohoo:
Advertisements
we did a castle, princess, knight, freindly dragon theme. the room was pretty neutral, but I had bedding for both a girl and a boy, the boys was a dragon and kniight and the girls was a castle and princess. We had a castle painted by a muralist on the walls, along with some nice dragons, and scenery. Now that we have a girl in there long term, there is lots more pink and more girly stuff added to the walls.
Hi.. it varies from state to state, our state is 40 sq ft. per child, so you definitely could fit 3 or more children in that room.... Good luck preparing and getting licensed, it is a lot of hurry up and waiting:) We take younger 0-2 right now, boy or girls, so our room is decorated with yellows, browns, and reds... There are a lot of options for neutral rooms that are still fun and not babyish;)
sarah
Here you have to have 60 sq ft for 1 child, or 40 sq ft for more than 1 child.
I rent and my LL didn't want us painting, putting up borders, or anything, so we just furnished the room and put up some kid friendly posters.
How many kids per room (there's always a max) and how much space per child is determined by your state/county/agency. They will have to tell you the precise specifics.
Advertisements
We are actually starting the process, and starting to decorate the room. It is a 10x10 room, so I am thinking that we could only have 2 kids. We are wanting 0-3 boy or girl. This weekend I am painting the walls a light yellow. We are actually getting new carpet as well and it will be a deep brown. The bedding set that I have been looking at at walmart is a zoo animal set with all kinds of deep rich colors. I cant wait as well. We are looking forward to finally have kids in the home(other than our dogs:)
Check with your agency for the space requirements. In my state, you have to have 75 sq feet for the first child and an additional 50 for each other child. Your room measurements give you 200 sq feet. Here, you would have enough for 3 kids in one room assuming they were all the same gender (75+50+50 =175).
Our foster child's room is neutral. Below the chair rail the wall is painted a grey silt green. The trim is all off white. Above the chair rail, the wall is painted about 3 shades lighter than below. Valences are forest green. Furniture is a dark color like espresso. There are two antique architectural stars hanging on the wall. Since C moved in, we added a brightly painted frog from Mexico to the room and a framed picture of hot air balloons. C's stuff animals and toys add a lot more color to the room.
I am a rather large fan of Winnie the Pooh...My personal plan is somewhat neutral (I think one room is a light yellow and the other may end up a pale blue). I am looking at a much larger age range though, so I'm avoiding themes and plan on using bedding to accentuate.
My agency had it's own requirements. They wouldn't allow us to have more than 2 kids in a room (not sure if they make exceptions). They also only allow same gender in same room. They also had an age requirement...I believe it was something like there can only be a 7 year age difference between the children in the same room or something similar. So I'd definitely check with your social workers as I'm sure every situation is different.
Advertisements
Hello,
Have you ever wondered how hard it is to deal with kids especially the choosy ones? Like how to feed them with the right food and teaching them the right manners that they mostly neglect or messing up their room playing roles of their favorite characters? Kids are really hard to deal with if you want things to go on your way. Decorating their room of their choice will lessen such problems of messy room set-up all the time. Here are some tips on how to make them like their room.
The first thing to consider is to know what your kid really wants. Identify what he/she is into. This will make a better start for you. If your kid loves Disney princesses then you can incorporate in her room the setting of a princess. Make her the princess of her room. Refer to magazines or visit online to get more ideas on the right wall color for things already available in your home. Say, for example, your kid has already lot of toys of princesses then you can use these toys as displays to her room.
After getting an idea of what setting to make in her room, check the availability of materials? If more materials are needed to be bought then that's not a practical thing to do. Go for budget-friendly room makeover as much as possible. It only requires a little creativeness on your part. The trick here is to always include your daughter/son in every aspect of the room that needs renovation. The more he/she likes the room the more he/she will take care of that room. In this task the best buddy to consult actually is your kid.
Next is the lighting of the room. Consider natural light as much as possible to come in during daytime. A dark bedroom or a room that needs artificial lighting even during the day can only add to your next electricity bill. If your kid wants something that is opposite your ideas always have a better alternative for him/her. In this way, he/she gets what he/she wants and at the same time you implemented a budgeted bedroom decoration concept.
Kids are really not hard to deal with. Let the kid in you understand what they want and you will find yourself dealing with them effortlessly. For bedroom decoration of your kids allow them to share and participate in the task. This is also one way of spending quality time with them.
Thanks
if you are thinking of replacing carpeting to match, I would suggest putting in some type of hard floor, like wood, laminate or even vinyl.
Two of my fks have had asthma. having hard floors in their bedroom helps a lot and it's easier to clean.
Such fun stuff!! I have also rented, so I haven't painted or made any major changes like that, but picking out bedding is so much fun!! There are so many different things that you can get. I ended up getting a gender neutral rainforest theme. It has a lot of really great deep colors. As for organization...I need help with that too! At my previous house, the closets were small, so I had one of those bars you can hang from the existing bar (not sure if that makes since!) I hung girls on top & boys on the lower bar, it worked pretty good. Good luck & have fun with it!!
check your regulations....over here doesn't matter how big your room is, you can only have 2 sharing and same gender.
Advertisements
[QUOTE=Redgrave55]Hello,
Have you ever wondered how hard it is to deal with kids especially the choosy ones? Like how to feed them with the right food and teaching them the right manners that they mostly neglect or messing up their room playing roles of their favorite characters? Kids are really hard to deal with if you want things to go on your way. Decorating their room of their choice will lessen such problems of messy room set-up all the time. Here are some tips on how to make them like their room.
The first thing to consider is to know what your kid really wants. Identify what he/she is into. This will make a better start for you. If your kid loves Disney princesses then you can incorporate in her room the setting of a princess. Make her the princess of her room. Refer to magazines or visit online to get more ideas on the right wall color for things already available in your home. Say, for example, your kid has already lot of toys of princesses then you can use these toys as displays to her room.
After getting an idea of what setting to make in her room, check the availability of materials? If more materials are needed to be bought then that's not a practical thing to do. Go for budget-friendly room makeover as much as possible. It only requires a little creativeness on your part. The trick here is to always include your daughter/son in every aspect of the room that needs renovation. The more he/she likes the room the more he/she will take care of that room. In this task the best buddy to consult actually is your kid.
Next is the lighting of the room. Consider natural light as much as possible to come in during daytime. A dark bedroom or a room that needs artificial lighting even during the day can only add to your next electricity bill. If your kid wants something that is opposite your ideas always have a better alternative for him/her. In this way, he/she gets what he/she wants and at the same time you implemented a budgeted bedroom decoration concept.
Kids are really not hard to deal with. Let the kid in you understand what they want and you will find yourself dealing with them effortlessly. For bedroom decoration of your kids allow them to share and participate in the task. This is also one way of spending quality time with them.
Thanks
/QUOTE]
Respectfully, I disagree with pretty much everything said here.
"for example, your kid has already lot of toys of princesses then you can use these toys as displays to her room." Is this a joke? These are FOSTER CHILDREN. Mine came with a few outfits that didn't fit. Many of these children (mine included) never had a BED of their own! They don't have collections of toys that they favor over others.
They are not her "sons and daughters" they're foster children. If she's not looking to adopt, then she could have many many many placements and changing the room every time wouldn't make sense.
I'd recommend making it child friendly and decorate with curtains and stuff that's easily changed, rather than painting a whole theme.
The comment "kids are really not that hard to deal with"--ha. Mine are. My FD are. Extremely difficult-this isn't normal parenting, it's foster parenting. There's a whole different set of rules. Have you experienced this?
This is why I posted what I did a few weeks ago and got lots of backlash for it.
This is disrespectful-it doesn't have anything to do with what foster parents deal with.
I have two kid bedrooms- when I did not yet have any placements, I painted one yellow, with green curtains, and purchased inexpensive jungle animal decals for the walls. That room has bunk beds in it, and I also purchased green sheets with jungle animals on them. The other room I painted a deep blue and put stars and moons on the wall and star sheets. I had a crib disassembled in the attic, and only one set of neutral, hand-me-down crib linens just in case I ever needed them-- I never did. I had 2 girls in the jungle room for a while- now it is just a guest room for visiting cousins.
S moved into the blue room, and since he has been here and adopted the stars have come down and a transformers poster has gone up.