Advertisements
Advertisements
I just had to go on a big search for a car seat that my DD could be in the 5pt harness with her height because even though she is old enough, heavy enough and tall enough for a booster seat (where you just use the regular seat belt), I didn't think the seat gave her enough support with her physical disabilities. So I thought I would share what I found in case others are looking.
Britax Frontier 85 Harness until 85 pounds or 57 Inches tall, then turns into seat belt booster
Britax Boulevard Harness until 65 pounds or 49 inches tall
Britax Regent (If you can find it still) Harness to 80 pounds and I think 57 inches (I can't find the height limit anywhere)
Sunshine Kids Radian There are 3 different harness versions all with a minimum of 65 pounds and 53 inches tall. These are not very wide at the base so you can fit 3 across in a regular car. And they rear face to 45 pounds. Low entry level for easiest possible kid placement.
I went with the Radian because it fit the best in my car and because of the low profile at the hips (makes it easier for me to physically lift her into the seat).
Anyway, just thought I would share. If anyone has any other suggesting for 5 point harness seats that allow you to use the harness on a kid over 48 inches tall, feel free to add to the list!
Advertisements
The max height on the Regent is 53 inches. Here is the link [url]http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/regent/product-demo[/url]
This will vary somewhat by child depending on their build. The child's ears must be below the top of the seat and their shoulders should not be over the top harness slots. So if the child has a particularly long torso they may outgrow it in 'fit' before 53 inches.
Thanks Debbie! THe Sunshine Kids directions actually say that as long as she is below the total height limit, once you get to the top rung on the seat it doesn't matter if the shoulders are over the harness slots. I was a little suprised by that but that seat is so heavy duty maybe there are different rules. I can't believe the seat only weighs 25 pounds. Feels like at least 50!
Nevada Jen
Thanks Debbie! THe Sunshine Kids directions actually say that as long as she is below the total height limit, once you get to the top rung on the seat it doesn't matter if the shoulders are over the harness slots. I was a little suprised by that but that seat is so heavy duty maybe there are different rules. I can't believe the seat only weighs 25 pounds. Feels like at least 50!
Hmmmmm . . . . That goes contrary to everything I have ever learned. Interesting. It has to do with holding the child back, head incursion, spinal compression, etc so it just doesn't make sense to me. Not saying it isn't true. Just doesn't make sense to me. I am curious now. I will have to do some research. :)
My issue with Regent (it was the Super Elite when we had one) was always the weight. Dang it was a beast! But it was the only option on the market at that time.
I would love to see/play with one of the Radians. I am really intrigued by them but I can't find any place that carries them. Only online. :(
I am constantly amazed at the new seats coming on the market compared to what was out there even 8-9 years ago.
ETA: Went searching on carseat.org forums and found this. [url=http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=19051]Using the Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80 above top shoulder slots--PLEASE READ - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Forums[/url] It is older (2007) and I would like to find more recent discussion, but I found it interesting. My inclination is I would not use it beyond the shoulder height, but it defiently is an opinion/trust in their testing issue. (I found SK's association with the Mighty Tite discussed on that thread interesting too. Does make me trust them less.)
I didn't read the whole thread but I guess I can see how it would be different with the SK Radian than other seats because of a different center of gravity. The seat is definately different than any of the other seats on the market as far as look and feel. Honestly, I think the most important thing in a car seat is that it fits your car well. The rest of the stuff just doesn't matter if the seat cannot be held securely in place. I doubt she will be above the top rung before she outgrows it in total height and she is not going to be too wide for it! But I could see how parents of typical kids would have issues with it.
I really like the seat. Its the first seat I have ever had that I think might actually protect her in a decent crash. I never expected to find a seat like that with her unique body characteristics.
Advertisements
I hope it doesn't come across as if I am suggesting it isn't a great seat. I do think it is a great seat. And you are correct. The seat needs to fit your vehicle and child, and be installed correctly and used correctly every time. That is what makes it safe. Or if installed/used incorrectly, not safe. No seat is right for every child and vehicle and correct installation and usage is all. I think it is fabulous you found a seat that works well for your daughter and your vehicle.
That said, I agree with the majority of the CPS techs on that site that I have serious reservations about SK's claims it is safe when the straps are below shoulder level.
Luckly it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you though, which is great. :)
I didn't think you were arguing! I am also really bothered by the claim that it the slots can be below the shoulders and it still be as safe.
Just got the sunshine radian 80 for Tucker today. Puts our old seat to shame, its a thing of beauty :)
AND, he has plenty of room to grow with the harness. He is in the second highest slot, but only because he was JUST above the third highest. So, I think we'll get several years out of this seat!
If it fits in your car it is awesome. Of course, I now need a new car and in addition to finding a car that portrays the right image, I need to find one that fits the seat!
Why can't they make an imageless car?
Advertisements
FYI flaghouse.com has several specialized carseats for children with special needs all the way up to adulthood and 120 lbs. Most I believe ( though not all) have the 5 pnt harness option. There are also 5 pnt harnesses you can have installed into your carseat that they sell in there too. happy searching :)
-Amy
I just ordered the britax 85 for my son. I will let you guys know when I get it. It seemed to go the tallest and I wanted one that would keep him in five point the longest, he is skinny and probably always will be but he is finally getting taller. I just don't think he is safe in a regular seatbelt with his missing legs and arm.
I really thought about getting that one. Its definately a more adult looking seat. I feel you on the seat belt thing. I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with DD in a regular seatbelt.