Advertisements
Advertisements
Haha.
Did you see Sunday's Boston Globe? Front page lead article was about how New Hampshire has a hard time marketing the "Granite State." I mean Maine has the blueberry/lobster thing, Vermont has the maple syrup thing going....
I used to live in Manchester, NH...I was miserable there, but I love many other parts of New Hampshire...especially like Portsmouth and Ski Country. Also, am planning to take DD to Storyland in the next few weeks...she loves it!!
Advertisements
As someone who grew up in coastal Maine, I appreciate living in a non-tourist state :)
I too, never loved living in Manchester.
Nashua was a better fit, but I left there years agofor a job
We haven't done Storyland yet. Is it worth the trip?
Santa's villiage was a big hit.
Storyland is great....really. And it is so CHEAP. I was shocked at how much fun we had for so little.
Have gone to Santa's Village as well....It was sooo cute!!
I don't know how old your DD is, but I would say Storyland starts to look a little "lame" to a 8 or 9 year old (according to my niece!) so get up there while you can!
I'd love to visit New Hampshire. Any recommendations? I'm AA with 4 AA sons. Would we stick out? Some friends are also thinking of doing a girls' weekend there. Any ideas? thanks!!
Advertisements
wcurry66....I think Storyland is fantastic, too!!! So much to do without being overwhelming. My daughter, who is 7, still LOVES it there. It's so clean and neat, too. You can also bring food with you but if you decide to buy it, it's not too expensive. Just a great place for everyone!!
That area (North Conway/Jackson) is beautiful. There is the Conway Scenic Railroad to ride and the outlets to shop. Lots to do!!!
Chrissy
millie58
I'd love to visit New Hampshire. Any recommendations? I'm AA with 4 AA sons. Would we stick out? Some friends are also thinking of doing a girls' weekend there. Any ideas? thanks!!
Millie, stick out.. well, we are a whiter state than others. But less white than we were a decade ago.
Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth and Salem have racial diversity. The tourist town like Weirs Beach in the Lakes region have a wide variety of people
OT- my best friend is African (Ugandan). She (and her family) lived here for a decade before moving to a warmer place. I used to feel NH was diverse.. For the most part, we were never bothered or stared at (except one policemen who followed us every where we went - one night). It was an eye opener to hang out with her brother. I assume the subtle racism (the people crossing the street when we walked towards them, the eye balling in stores) may happen everywhere. It was ignorant to it before it happened to me
NH is a small state - with Lowell and Lawrence,MA over the border.. and boston an hour a way, people are used to seeing a variety of people
Definitely come. Let me know if you'd like recommendations :)
Glad to see I'm not the only one in NH here :)
We chose to live in manchester because of the diversity - at least in comparison to the rest of the state :). my DH is black and his daughter visits us every year and we have a daughter together who is mixed, so we didn't want her to only see one culture. I grew up in Kingston and lived there as an adult recently but hated it.
I haven't gone to Santa's Village yet, not sure if i want to, just kinda weirded me out that it's supposed to be Christmas all the time... but the lakes region is definitely very pretty and has quiet a few attractions.
Advertisements
I know this thread is real old I just had to laugh. I grew up in Hampton so when you said a non touristy state I laughed. It was so touristy during the summer...lol.
Storyland was great. Santa's Village was spectacular (the boys' favorite spot). Polar Caves was fun too!
So true! we were there 4th of July weekend (what were we thinking???). its as touristy as it gets
We lived maybe 5 -10 minutes from the beach (in the town part of things not the beach part of thing) but we rarely went just because of the traffic and the crowds.
I haven't been to Hampton Beach in a very long time, although my husband wants to move up to NH.