Advertisements
Advertisements
hi, im new to this forum and not even sure if im posting in the right place but i figured id give it a shot here.
well heres my story. ive been searching to find any information about my birth family to no avail,even hired omni quest and its been well over two years maby even three and still nothing.just one dead end and run around after the other.i was adopted in nova scotia around 1972 and brought to the states,were ive been ever since.the closest ive come in my quest is finding the hospital i was born in,but they couldnt give me the rest of the info. and i have a birth certificate from nova scotia with a different name on it but its led me nowere,well i dont want to ramble to long on my first post so if anybody has or is goin through a search like this and can offer any help id greatly apreciate it
You need to contact the Adoption Disclosure Registry in Halifax and have your contact info added. If one or both of your biological parents have registered, they will initiate contact between you.
Also, if you have your original birth certificate, you may be able to contact the Department of Vital Statistics (also in Hfx) and request the "long form birth certificate" with that registration number.
Good luck - it's a strange province to search in. It's soooo small yet very well hidden.
Meg
Advertisements
Thanks, I've already regestered on the ADR in Halifax, no luck though. But ill try the dept of vital stats, thanks for the lead!
Good luck with your search. I live in NS, and the information posted is correct.
Also, have you tried using social networking sites to gain some information? It's amazing how much personal stuff people put on those, and it might aid you in your search.
Was your adoption finalized in Canada or the US. If Canada - what Province - if US - what State.
I say this because if your adoption was done in Canada it wasn't necessarily done in NS and could have been done in ON.
Not sure how the rules were when you were born but its worth checking...
If it was done in the States then there are two potential avenues. The first one being your border crossing paperwork which won't be sealed as far as I know should have your original information......The second is you may get lucky if the adoption was finalized in one of the few states with open records.
Kind regards,
Dickons
My adoption was finalized in the us new York state borough of queens. And I do have my passport from than.
But not sure how that would help
Advertisements
I would go to the US Immigration and ask for copies of the paperwork for your bordercrossing and immigration for your records. It should have your details pre-adoption in it.
Kind regards,
Dickons
THanks for the help. my passport was issued in ottawa so would the paper work for that be in Canada or us?also Would my immagration papers have my original mothers name on them? It seems I was brought to the states in 71 and adoption was finalized in 72, would these papers be accesable to me or even still available?