Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
I'd have to agree with Crick's kids, "it's just a movie". An animated movie. No part of it was realistic what so ever!! There are always going to be movie topics out there that reflect peoples lives. Can't help that. There's a lot of people in the world. We saw it and my son just loved it. He was way more interested in the crazy things that were going on and those minions than any real story line. It was cute and uplifting, I thought anyway.
IT def. depends on were your kids are with adoption, how they were adopted, and thier llife experiences.
Cricks kids have been securely in thier family for quite some time now, R has been home less than a year, and has no experience with group homes- except that she knows her sister was in one.
I think to say "Its just a movie" may be right for one set of kids and wrong for others.
My son is 7 1/2 and adopted as a toddler, so he may not have the same reactions as a child adopted older. He loved the movie, thought it was a riot, and when I tried to talk to him about the adoption part said "mom, please...he steals the moon in the movie, do you think I believed that part too!!"
Lauren, mom to Michael
txwannabemom
IT def. depends on were your kids are with adoption, how they were adopted, and thier llife experiences.
Cricks kids have been securely in thier family for quite some time now, R has been home less than a year, and has no experience with group homes- except that she knows her sister was in one.
I think to say "Its just a movie" may be right for one set of kids and wrong for others.
i agree...which is why i'm glad we are all talking about it. i actually think it will be no big deal for 3 out of 5 of my kids...and maybe a small deal at least for 2 others. at the very least my dh and i know that we will have a debriefing before and after. the 2 who may be affected by this movie may be fine...i may be worrying for nothing. but i would hate to say it was no big deal for them....make that decision for them...and then it end up being a big deal for them.
No part of it was realistic what so ever!
i so politely :) disagree just based on what i have heard so far. children do live in facilities with a caregiver instead of parents. the people who run it may not care about them. parents who allow children to come into their homes do not always have the best intentions. when things don't go well some parents return children to facilities. those are all very realistic things that have happened to my daughter right here in the US. then there is the lady who sent her child back to his orphanage in russia recently...yeah...they live a few counties over so that is big news here. again....that's real.
*I* think the movie looks cute. i want to see it. i hear it has a happy ending. but for someone with a dx like PTSD or RAD...they may find it hard to focus on cute things and happy endings and may only take away the memory that over 10 times a family "returned" them to a facility. having never been rejected by a family....let alone over 10...i'll walk away happy and entertained....she may walk away feeling depressed and angry. i want to be sensitive to that.
we haven't seen annie or stuart little or meet the robinsons. but i actually still think we will see this movie(if after speaking with dd she would want to see it)....but all of this discussion is GREAT for me as i figure out what i would say in a pre-movie debriefing. (which i think it necessary bc we too have seen a million previews that just show a funny movie....and i don't want my kids to be surprised by the plot line.)
if nothing else...i want to just be aware and alert as an adoptive parent of hurting or sensitive children. you all help me stay on my "A" game...so thanks again for the discussion. carry on..... :)
Advertisements
I saw it with my daughter (who will finalize this fall) and her former foster sister (age 16, adopted at age 6). Neither of them blinked at the adoption scene. The children are returned to the orphanage, but not by the parent who adopted them, but by someone else -- and the adoptive parent grieved the entire they were gone. Since both girls were in foster homes, I don't think they even saw the orphanage as real. Neither of them think they can be returned either. My daughter thinks we have finalized, and her foster sister has been finalized for a long time.
Their favorite line came from one of the girls, but they never said anything about them being orphans or adopted or anything.
just-breathe
There is a forum on this site, actually.
[url]http://forums.adoption.com/recommended-books-movies-music-etc/[/url]
Thanks so much! :)
What's an appropriate age for this movie? Our kids love Stuart Little and don't seem too aware of the adoption angle in that one. They are begging to see a movie in a real theater but we'll wait if this is really only good for older kids.
I just wanted to update this after I had a discussion with my 8 y.o. FD who saw the movie a second time with her Summer Fun group. She was completely oblivious to and (seemingly) unaffected by the adoption storyline. She LOVED the movie...
Advertisements
buttascotchbaby
I just wanted to update this after I had a discussion with my 8 y.o. FD who saw the movie a second time with her Summer Fun group. She was completely oblivious to and (seemingly) unaffected by the adoption storyline. She LOVED the movie...
that's good...thank you. we talked with our kids...they all agreed they still wanted to see it....we got to the theater and the next 3 showings were SOLD out! lol. maybe its a sign. ;)
My 12 year old dd & 11 year old son saw it and gave it the big thumbs up!
They both said it was funny and when I asked about the adoption theme they really had to think about it. Said it didn't really occur to them while watching the movie itself. They also both made the point that it's NOT the dad that sends the girls back to the home, it's the evil guy. That made a difference.:)
Also said that with it being a cartoon, things don't seem real in a cartoon and anything can happen. Then they went on to list all the impossible things that happened. lol.
crick
They also both made the point that it's NOT the dad that sends the girls back to the home, it's the evil guy. That made a difference.:)
i think that made a difference for my kids too. :) we LOVED it. we had a discussion before going and everyone chose to still go (was mostly worried about my dd15...but she still wanted to see it too). we laughed so hard...and cried a little too. :) seven thumbs up from us. so far we have no behavioral downfalls.....everyone seems fine.:D
We took our kids to see it yesterday. The theater was PACKED.
DS, age 6, loved it. DD, almost 2, idn't care for it. Or probably any movie at this point. DS is our bio child and we adopted DD at birth, so the older child adoption didn't resonate, but for the first time ever DS asked us what does adopt mean? He was 4 when we adopted DD, and that seemed completely normal to him.
Advertisements
My daughter saw it yesterday, so I asked her to tell me about it this morning. She, too, was very clear on why the girls were taken from their dad. She said, "the evil guy knew that the kids meant something to the not-so-evil guy, so he took them." She noticed the adoption theme, but didn't focus on it in her recap.
I'm so glad to hear that everyone's kids enjoyed this movie as much as DH and I did! We went to the drive-in to see it Friday night, and as the credits were rolling DH was saying "We HAVE to buy that when it hits DVD!" Our night at the drive-in was our last 'date night' before parenthood as placement is tomorrow, and wouldn't you know we would choose to go to a kid's movie, lol! :popcorn: