Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I appreciate all the responses and advice I've received. I didn't really want to stop fostering, but I was worried that I would do more harm than good if I didn't particularly "like" a child I was placed with. I know I have just gotten started on fostering, and I think I have an "ideal foster mom" image in my head that I was failing to achieve. I have also been so focused on keeping the house clean and neat with an extra child that I probably haven't spent enough time just playing and talking with the children. Caretaking responsibilities sometimes get in the way of relationship building!
During my first respite a co-worker talked about how she could never foster because she would get too attatched, and in my mind I was counting the days until the child was gone. I felt terrible. I am glad that I can admit that here without getting attacked. I was too scared to talk to my licensing worker about it.
Also on the two week placement, the child starting calling me "mom" within hours of being with me and later that day said "I love you Mom". I was so shocked that I just stood there without saying anything. I wish I had handled it better, but I just changed the subject. By the time she left two weeks later, I was able to say "I love you too honey" without feeling too much like a cold hearted liar! And I was sad when she was suddenly removed to go to an aunt who wanted her.
I will take your advice and take some of the pressure off of myself to "love" each child like my own and just "act like it" instead if the connection isn't there.
Thanks again for your help!