Advertisements
Advertisements
I have just found out that I am adopted. I was born in Tularosa NM in 1966 and I have no idea who my mother is at this time. I have all the adoption records and have just begun the process. It is possible that my mother was/is Native American. I am four days into my journey so any advice at this point would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, Bart.
Don't be surprised if you become obsessed. Elated. Dejected. Determined. Frustrated. Etc. I've found that it's reassuring to read the posts here and see that my reactions to it all are pretty normal for what we're doing.
Advertisements
Bartman,
You should search the registry on this site (link below) and also post your search. In addition ISRR.net will also search their database for a match and add you to the database for future searches.
[url=http://registry.adoption.com/]Adoption Registry - Records, Reunion Registries, Adoptees, Search, Reunite, Birth Mother, Father, Pa[/url]
The NM laws also allow you to file a consent in case your family of birth searches and if they have also filed a request then you can get full access.
They will also check to see if your native status and work with you on that. See link below.
[url=http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/new-mexico-laws.html]New Mexico Adoption Laws[/url]
Kind regards,
Dickons
Bartman, welcome. The people here are good people and will try to help and support you in your search. You may be able to get more direct on line info by going to the chat room at nite. It usually starts late...maybe around 10 or 10:30.
In the chat room there are people with many types of experiences from all over. They are a welcoming group, happy to help. Come join us.
I wish you the best.
thanks to you all. i have hired an intermediary to get the records open and have already sent an email to the court to request any information they can give me. as you can imagine i have not heard from the court just yet. all direction is welcomed at this point. still just very confused as this is less than a week old for me!:confused:
Advertisements
Bartman,
Many adoptees were never told and found out very late in life - some on this site and there is a subforum under Adoptees called late discovery. Not right but some parents felt it best. Still don't understand but it is what it is.
Just kind of to let you know you are not alone. During the closed era (40 - mid 70's so you are this group) there was an estimated 6 million babies placed for adoption in the USA. Many of us through the state although there were some big agencies around then primarily run by Churches.
Mothers literally had no choice - none - they either placed or would be kicked out of their house. They were not allowed to go to school and would be fired from their jobs. There was no social services available at all. Single mothers were considered terrible / horrible people and had a hard time finding work, housing etc - regardless of the fact that the only reason they were deemed that is because they were the ones who were caught. Illegitimate children were shunned, parents would not let their kids play with them - it just goes on and on.
Go to your local bookstore and ask them to order the book by Ann Fessler - The Girls Who Went Away. That will give you a really good picture of what society was like then and will help you through this - it helped me better understand - I was blown away and thought I understood but it was my childs vision of society - nothing like reality.
As to your parents - during that era they probably just followed some really bad advice from the so called professionals...if they were good parents then if you are angry at them try to work it out.
Kind regards,
Dickons
The search/reunion journey is truly a confusing, emotional roller coaster. Seek support, pace yourself, read lots. You might find the following web site useful since it has a few links to Native American adoptees [url=http://www.icasn.org/resources.html]RESOURCES[/url]
I've found the people here very supportive and hope you will too.
thanks to you both. i have always wondered about my ethnicity as i did not look like the family....even if i cant find my mother i feel i at least need to know where i came from and i will continue to search until i at least find this out. i have mixed emotions in regards to what i will find. it feels as if the entire world knew and i was the only one in the dark!:mad:
sometimes pieces of info come about and are completely unexpected. We were searching for a different piece of the puzzle and here comes stuff we didnt ask about...but it was there.
There's lottsa "crazies" involved not only in the search, but in your head too...somedays U will feel as tho U can take on the world, others, you feel a need to wait for a few and let things settle. It's an up and down feeling. Go slow. U have a right to know....theres good people and all kinda help here on the Board.
I wish you the best.
Advertisements
well i had a reply from hcgCali this morning with some great info but it was posted frrom another thread and now i cant find it.i am new to the site and i am sure there is a way to retreive the data. HELP! i need to find it and respond to it.
I can't find a hcgCali in the member list. Was it a private message maybe or have you spelled the user name wrong?
Kind regards,
Dickons
i cant find it either. i posted on another thread as i was surfing and they had responded to me with alot of info that i needed to respond to. dont even remember the thread i was looking at. i really need to find them as they seemed to have access to a ton of info!!! i could be spelling it wrong but i am posotive of the Cali part.
Bartman,
I think you must have posted on a different forum as I just checked and you have only posted in this thread on a.com. If you click on your username in this thread it will show you a list of all your posts.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Since my last post here in 2010 I have found much information! I have found my Bio Mom and she refuses to meet me and has told the siblings that "yes I had a baby at that time but it was born on the sixth and not the fifth. Crazy! I have met three of my half siblings and one aunt and uncle. It was a very surreal experience. I am still in contact with my oldest sister on a regular basis however she is unable to get the bio mom to tell her who the father is. There must have been a terrible secret around who my father was. Both of my adopted parents have now passed away and they really didn't have a lot of info anyway. Apparently bio mom is a big liar and it is confirmed through her children. Needless to say, after speaking with my sister I was so much better off to have been adopted. My bio moms name is/was Nancy Adams and she still lives in New Mexico. Thin is I don't really care if I ever meet her I just want to know who my father is. Come to find out she is white and I am brown! My father must have been Mexican or native American. Keep the ears open out there and message me if you ever hear anything.....