Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I agree with you, Nicole! And Dickons, I didn't know the background to those nursery rhymes was about the plague etc; Very intriguing! Apparently fairy tales, mythology, popular stories are said to provide a way for our society to try to cope and hope.
I also think that one of the next areas for adoption-related advocacy is for us to get adoption-related issues built into the school and university curriculum. I'd be interested to hear from gay rights lobbyists, people affected by divorce and counsellors how they managed to get these new issues built in. At least the US Census has begun to track how many people are adopted - that way policy makers and those who advise them can have an idea of just how widespread the adoption-related community is. Until we stand up and be counted, I'm sure we'll just be seen as a niche issue and therefore remain marginalized.
I do recall when I'd glanced at a teacher education textbook, that there were chapters on how growing up in divorced families sometimes affects children's learning abilities - eg. the kids are struggling with grief and loss issues which can decrease their ability to focus on their studies. But no mention about some of the learning issues such as those that Evan B Donaldson Adoption Institute found in their article, "Adoption in the Schools: A Lot to Learn" [URL="http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/policy/2006_09_adoption_in_the_schools.php"]Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute[/URL]