Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I am looking for support groups for parents who are adopting children exposed to meth in-utero. Support groups can be online or in-person located in Virginia.
Thanks!
Advertisements
I don't know of any, other than this forum and the Special Needs adoption forum on this site. The Special Needs adoption forum has been a great and supportive resource for me. :) I have three drug exposed/addicted kids. I have one of each for meth; one was exposed, one born addicted. My other was born addicted to heroin.
Are you waiting to adopt a child born exposed? My little guys came to me as toddlers. We didn't do the newborn/infant part, but we got in on the toddler/potty training part. :D
Thanks for the reply Barksum. I am a Child Welfare Worker in California and am facilitating an adoption with a child who is exposed to meth in-utero and some foster parents on the East Coast who are looking for a support group because there is little to no information about meth exposed children in-utero anywhere, but even less information on the East Coast.
whitegingers
Thanks for the reply Barksum. I am a Child Welfare Worker in California and am facilitating an adoption with a child who is exposed to meth in-utero and some foster parents on the East Coast who are looking for a support group because there is little to no information about meth exposed children in-utero anywhere, but even less information on the East Coast.
That would be a wonderful thing to get started because METH tends to run in epidemic fashion! Where we lived in IL, our agency told us that 70% of their case load was children removed from homes involving meth. These communities, where Meth has taken over, need to support each other.
Online may be the best place right now since there is so little info available about drug exposure in general. I have gotten great support and advice just from this special needs forum.
I adopted my beautiful daughter when she was three (she is now ten). My daughter was prenatally exposed to meth and who knows what else. Because of this, she has autistic like behavior and epilepsy. I'm thrilled to be her mommy. She is definitely an exquisite angel and gods gift to the world.:clap: [url]http://forums.adoption.com/images/smilies/dance.gif[/url]
Advertisements
So every where I look there is no specific place were parents can go to get support about children they are raising who were exposed to methamphetamine... so I created one just now. I'm just hoping it will be a resource to fill a void. Please feel free to sign up so that you all can be supports to each other.. and any feed back you have would be greatly appreciated (I think the name I came up with is scary.)
Particularly because I'm not parenting a child exposed to meth I don't know what you all are going through.. I just wanted to create a spot for folks to gather. Your feed back is important becuase you are the ones parenting children, loveable as they are, but were exposed to meth. thanks.
whiteginger- How do we find the group you created?
Meth is a major epidemic here. My dd didn't test positive for meth, although she did for other drugs. I'm pretty sure she was exposed because both her older, and younger siblings did test positive for meth. Every adoptive parents I know that is parenting a drug exposed child talks about behaviors similar to S.'s, and yet very little information is avaliable. S. is tested at a clinic once a year at a clinic that specializes in pre-natal exposure, and even they have little information for us.
So every where I look there is no specific place were parents can go to get support about children they are raising who were exposed to methamphetamine... so I created one just now. I'm just hoping it will be a resource to fill a void. Please feel free to sign up so that you all can be supports to each other.. and any feed back you have would be greatly appreciated (I think the name I came up with is scary.)
Particularly because I'm not parenting a child exposed to meth I don't know what you all are going through.. I just wanted to create a spot for folks to gather. Your feed back is important becuase you are the ones parenting children, loveable as they are, but were exposed to meth. thanks.
Wedsite is [url=http://parentingmethexposedchildren.webs.com/index.htm]Home - Support Group for Parenting Meth Exposed Children[/url]
Bluebonnet.. click on the link here [url=http://parentingmethexposedchildren.webs.com/index.htm]Home - Support Group for Parenting Meth Exposed Children[/url]
Advertisements
whitegingers
Where is this group? I'm new to the page and can't find it.
I just joined. I'm raising a meth and heroin exposed baby. My son is now 26 months old. We adopted him as a newborn. He was exposed daily for the whole pregnancy. Thank you so very much for creating this support group. I feel very alone.
Advertisements
Hello, I am looking for a support group.
My adopted child was meth exposed in uretero. I would really love to have some support. I feel very alone in this.
I just made a Facebook group support page and would love for any parents seeking out help and support to join.
Jade