Advertisements
Advertisements
We are currently waiting to be matched for a domestic infant adoption. Just last week, I went to my OB/GYN to discuss inducing lactation using the Newman-Goldfarb protocols. Unfortunately, I didn't get the support that I desired or the prescriptions needed to start. I am hoping that some of you might be able to help me. I am looking for a website which lists doctors that support inducing lactation and prescribing Yasmin & Domperidone.
Any information is welcome.
Some of the others here might know more about finding a physician, but I wanted to say that, although having a supportive physician is nice, most of us have done without them. In many cases, the few physicians who are willing to support it, and even many lactation consultants, lack the understanding and experience with adoption issues to be too helpful. I know of many, many cases where advice from professionals has been not just unhelpful, but hurtful. The experts on this issue are really the moms who have had the devotion and determination to work beyond the challenges and do it. The experienced moms you have access to on the internet are your best resource.
Finding a La Leche League group in your area might be helpful, too. Although most La Leche League leaders don't know much about the specifics of inducing lactation, the vast majority will think you are doing something wonderful, and can help you with general breastfeeding issues, positioning, telling if the baby is getting enough food, nursing in public, general mothering, etc. They will also know of physicians in your area that are supportive of breastfeeding, in general, and also of good LCs. Here is a link to LLLI. You can look up leaders and groups meeting in your area. Here is a link [url=http://www.llli.org/]LLLI | Home[/url]
Noelani
Advertisements
In all the research I did before getting on the protocol, I could not find anywhere to get dom without a prescription. In that sense, it is nice to have a physician that is supportive. My original OB/GYN was unsupportive and refused to write a prescription for dom. I ended up switching to an OB/GYN that is very supportive of adoptive breastfeeding and has had patients do it in the past. Plus if you can find one that is supportive, they are more likely to know about possible drug interactions and side effects, should you have questions.
If you want to find a supportive physician, I would contact the La Leche Leage like neolani said. I was referred to my current OB/GYN through the lactation department at our hospital in town.
Thanks for the helpful information. I will look online at LLLI to find a local lactation consultant. As for right now, I am going to moving forward with preparing to start the regular protocol. I hope to receive my Domperidone and Yasmin in the mail within the next week. My goal is to use the advise I receive via forums and email to guide me. I value the fact that many of the ladies on this forum and thread have induced without the help or assistance of their OB/GYN.
If anyone is looking for an online and out of country pharmacy, I highly recommend In-House Pharmacy. They have both prescriptions needed for the Newman-Goldfarb protocols.
I hope it didn't sound like I was saying not to try to find a supportive physician. If you can, that would be great! I just don't want anyone to feel like it is essential, or that most physicians are experts. Some will just admit that they don't know anything about it, but others will pretend to know about it, and say and do things that work against it. I recently heard of someone whose doctor told her that all she had to do was take massive doses of estrogen for several months and that, when she got off of it, her milk would come in. The estrogen gave her very sore, swollen, breasts and made her very emotional but, of course, it didn't make her lactate.
When you do locate a doctor who is known to be supportive of breastfeeding, I think it is a good idea to go to your first appointment ready to fill him/her in on the particulars of induced lactation. Print up one of Dr. Newman's articles, and write down what you are taking. Acknowledge the fact that many adoptive moms have to supplement, to some extent, and take a Lact-Aid to show, to help assure him/her that you are prepared to make sure the baby is adequately fed, regardless of how much of a milk supply you get. A physician who knows that you know what you are doing is much more likely to be supportive.
Has anyone in the USA had their local physician write their prescriptions for the Yasmin? Even though you don't need it, I wonder if it might tend to have a positive effect to have the domperidone, which they can't prescribe for you, be the only thing you are not getting from them. That way, it might seem less like you are asking them to support what another doctor says to do, which might rub many doctors the wrong way, if you know what I mean.
noelani2
Has anyone in the USA had their local physician write their prescriptions for the Yasmin? Even though you don't need it, I wonder if it might tend to have a positive effect to have the domperidone, which they can't prescribe for you, be the only thing you are not getting from them. That way, it might seem less like you are asking them to support what another doctor says to do, which might rub many doctors the wrong way, if you know what I mean.
My doctor in the USA wrote the prescription for both. It is actually available at two componding pharmacies in my town, but it's over $200 for a month's supply vs $100 for a 3 month supply from an online pharmacy in Canada.
Advertisements
I might have responded to you on another thread but I wanted to tell you I got a three months supply of both prescriptions from In-House Pharmacy. As for the cost, the Domperidone was $80.00 and Yasmin for $60.00. There is also free shipping.
Are you willing to share how long you have been on Domperidone? Are you doing the Newman-Goldfarb protocol? If so, which are you doing; the regular or accelerated?
I am currently waiting on my cycle to start, which should be on Sunday or Monday, so I can start the regular protocol. I thought this was the best fit for me (or us) because we are still waiting to me matched with an expectant mother.
usisarah
My doctor in the USA wrote the prescription for both. It is actually available at two componding pharmacies in my town, but it's over $200 for a month's supply vs $100 for a 3 month supply from an online pharmacy in Canada.
I started taking domperidone in March when we started waiting to be matched. I was doing the regular protocol. We were matched with an emom who was due August 9, so I only did the BC and dom together for about four months. I started pumping six weeks before the due date. After six weeks I was pumping about 20 oz a day and had about 600 oz stored in the freezer. The adoption fell through and I weaned myself over a few weeks.
Looking back I would not have changed a thing. I have a big head start for when we do adopt our baby in the future. Pumping did add another dynamic to our failed adoption, however. I'm guessing I'm just saying this because it is a reality for some people. I don't want to discourage you at all. If and when we are matched with another emom, I will start pumping again because I think it is a great thing to do for several reasons. That being said, I feel like I'm reminded of the failed adoption every time I open the freezer.