Advertisements
Advertisements
I am in the process of getting a dog and I was pretty set on a French Bulldog but they are pretty expensive and have quite a bit of health issues. The two other dogs I like are Boston Terriers and Basset Hounds.
I think Basset Hounds are SO cute. But I heard they are REALLY stinky!
Does anyone have a Basset Hound? Are they really that stinky? Is there a diet that can help with the stinkiness? What kind of family pets do they make?
Bethany you and I have had this conversation before....we had a boston for 13 years and he was a joy....now one thing you said was that you'd like a dog to be a good watchdog...um boston terriers aren't really good watch dogs....instead of barking they will probably be whining for the burgler to come play.
Now kakuehl may be on to something. My parents have a smaller Schnauzer and he has very good ears and barks/growls at noises that shouldn't be around....he can tell when someone is coming to the door....some people may find that annoying but my mom likes it...she feels safe or at least she knows to go investigate....L is 13 mo and my parent's schnauzer is very gentle around her...(although I'm more of a supervised child/dog person, so I don't let L poke near Max's face)
oh let us know what you decide :) And will keep you in thoughts and prayers for you to feel better.
Advertisements
I do like Bostons but some of them are really small. Don't get me wrong. I want a dog on the smaller size but I was hoping for one that was small but had some muscle or toughness to them KWIM? That is one of the reasons I like Frenchies. They are small but built like little tanks. I just hate that they cost anywhere between 1400 and 2000 in the average range and up to 4000 in the high range.
I did find a Boston that was large and muscular with really big ears like a frenchie but someone else got to him before me or I would have taken him.
I love bassets but yes, they are well known in the veterinary med. community to be among the smelliest.... and those ears are always getting infected and yeasty. But I've known plenty of bassets who didn't smell because their owners stayed on top of the problem and prevented it as much as possible.
I like my dogs on the bigger side too, and I absolutely want them to be protective, although not Cujoish, lol. But yeah, our current dog is a 95lb anatolian shepherd mix so he's quite the beast to haul around the football field. But our current foster dog is pretty perfect at only 45lbs. He's fabulous with my kids, people, and pets. No shedding, no smelling, and he is learning so fast in the 2 weeks I've had him. He gives just a warning bark but then settles down. Oh, and he's a pit bull mix :love:
Are you absolutely set on getting a puppy? Or would you consider contacting a rescue group for your chosen breed? The dogs would be MUCH cheaper, and the best part, you already know the personality of the dog. Puppies' personalities can be hard to predict, even purebreds don't always follow their breed standard. Goodluck and good for you for doing your research. Such a huge decision!
I really do want a young dog. I am not totally set on a puppy, puppy though. I have to admit that the rescue groups are so hard to adopt through.
For the French Bulldog rescue, many of the dogs have either health issues or behavioral issues. Many of the younger dogs say no kids under ten. And of the puppies that can be adopted to families with kids, they have hundreds of applications for each one. They also do NOT ship their puppies and expect you to drive or fly to them. And they are not cheap. They still want 600 dollars per puppy and when including travel fees, we are talking almost as much as a pure bred through a breeder.
For some reason, there are not a lot of Bostons, Frenchies or Bull terriers in rescues. I have been on pet finder many, many, many times and just can't find these breeds.
As far as the bull terrier, I would not feel comfortable adopting an older one as I have young kids.
Pitt Bulls are not a breed I would feel comfortable owning as my neighbors have a rotty who is not really nice. Plus there is the fear factor and I don't want my kids friends parents being scared to allow them to come to my house.
What about a dachshund? The standard size is a decent size dog, they are very loyal, and they are AWESOME watchdogs. I swear, my doxie barks if a mouse farts outside. But she quiets down when told. Some can be hard to potty-train, but if you're going to be home a lot with the dog, that would give you an advantage there. Mine is a smooth coated doxie, and she doesn't shed much at all. She doesn't get too stinky, IMO. Just regular baths and we're good.
Advertisements
I've been looking into dogs also. I've put in applications for 3 dogs at the shelter where I live. I've also been to two other shelters and nothing. I want a young dog and not a rotti or pit bull mix. But there has to be something I can get for my kiddies.
Mine isn't a pure bassett. She's a hybrid. Her daddy was a bassett and her mama a rat terrier. She looks like a mini bassett. I got the worst of both in some ways.
She's not very bright--she can get lost in a pant leg if she gets in the laundry. She is very territorial and bays all of the time--even after the guests are in the house. Her eyesight is so good that she sees things that aren't even there. And bays at them too. Stubborn doesn't even begin to describe her. She also has bowed legs in front.
However, she is the sweetest dog on the planet with the family. She's gentle, loving, affectionate and happy to see us no matter what. When we come home and let her out, she runs laps around the yard...except for that one day when, in her exuberance, she ran smack into the side of the house.
I did mention she was dumb, right?
I just thought the dogs you were looking at were high maintenance B! But I forgot you will be home now. We have a 2 mixes. They both came from the same non breed specific rescue who sets up at our Petco. One 50 pounds and one is 25. The 25 pounder is the perfect size. I can pick him up, he doesn't knock things over etc. . . but he is big enough that DD doesn't break him if she lays on top of him. He is mostly, Basenji. I would actually say he was purebred except he barks more than yodels. This write up describes him to a T. [url=http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/basenji.htm]Basenji, Information and Pictures, Basenjis, Dog that does not bark[/url]
You could take the breed quiz on this page. [url=http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm]Find the Perfect Dog, Dog Search, Dogs broken down into Search Categories, Which Breed is right for you, Breed Search[/url]
I was thinking a beagle.
BethanyB
I really do want a young dog. I am not totally set on a puppy, puppy though. I have to admit that the rescue groups are so hard to adopt through.
Did you know that animals shelters are mostly populated with dogs between the ages of 6-18 months? The "adolescent phase" can be challenging for inexperienced, unprepared owners which is why so many of this age group end up at the shelter. Sometimes, if you are having trouble finding the best breed for you, then getting a mixed breed can be the perfect solution. I'm shocked at the prices of the rescues in your area! How do they expect to find those dogs homes? The purebred rescues here top out around $250-$300 and the all-breed rescues (like the one I volunteer with) the fees are $150. I know that some of them can be SO fussy about where the dogs go and its unfortunate for the dogs. Rescues (pits and rotties mostly :)) are my passion though, and for some reason, they always seem to know they've been given another chance at life. They are so grateful to just be in your presence, its amazing. Goodluck with your decision!
Advertisements
My sister recently adopted a puppy (lab mix) from a shelter even though I warned her to get an older dog! The first few months were a bit of a nightmare as the dog chewed everything in sight and nipped like crazy. Finally, he is turning into the sweet adolescent she had hoped for. Still has a LOT of energy though. That's my only worry for you with a young dog, and if your energy is limited.
That is another reason I want a small dog. I don't mind a dog with energy but a big dog with energy can be rough. I will not be getting another lab puppy anytime soon. LOL! I think they are the cutest things and I had a lab for ten years and loved him dearly but they do stay puppies for the longest time. And they get into lots of trouble. LOL!
That is another reason I wanted a lazy dog like a frenchie or a basset hound. They can be fun and play but they are also lazy at times too.
I totally adore American bulldogs but they get to be too big and can be like bulls in a china shop. I would really love a dog without a tail too. My lab used to knock over everything in sight with that darn tail. LOL! The little kids would always get whipped with it too.
The potty training I am not so worried about. Since I plan to be home almost 24/7 I feel like I can do a good job at it. When I do go out the puppy will be crated so he won't chew anything or get into any trouble.
I think that I'll just keep looking at different breeds until I find the right situation. Thanks for the tips and suggestions.
I think I will probably stay away from the basset hound as I'm not sure I will be able to dedicate that much time for all of the upkeep that dog needs. But sure as heck are cute aren't they?
We have two 14 mo old bassets. I would not consider them stinky or high maintenance. We live in a very dry climate, so maybe that is why they are less needy of baths. We wipe out their ears with qtips and ear wash weekly while they lounge on our laps, but it is not much of a chore. We feed them medium pricey food(Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, just over $1 per lb). Not gassy and less poop than cheap food. I think they eat less because it has less filler. We have 4 other dogs so they romp with the crowd and "talk" when they want attention. They love to lay around a lot but are up for playtime. they are very affectionate, but not as needy as many other dogs we have had. I would not hesitate to get another in a heartbeat. Right now they are a bit rowdy, but barely out of puppy stage and they have 4 other dogs to wind them up. I think they would be calmer with less stimulation. We have a basset rescue locally that had all age dogs recently. good luck with your choices!!!
Thanks for the input, I just don't know what to do. I am hoping I will know which dog is right for me when I meet him. Just trying to be responsible and find a dog that I can take good care of.
I really appreciate all of your tips and advice!
Advertisements
I do. no they do not. dental care and keep their ears clean.
bathe. and you can you can use your hammock to do that,
forget the bathtub! just have a chair and a table with
the necessary items needed.
or just in your backyard!