Advertisements
Advertisements
I have just been reading some posts and trying to get to know everyone a little bit. I see that some have induced lactation and prepared to breastfeed and then ended up not getting the baby. I see that Sarah had this happen recently, and I am really sorry to hear it.
This is one reason I have been hesitant to recommend doing a lot of preparation in advance. I had started doing some research, back in 1997, (before illness forced me to stop doing much of anything). One of the questions I asked was whether those who hadn't gotten the babies felt that the having gone all out to prepare to breastfeed had made it more difficult to deal with that. Everyone I heard back from said that they felt like it made their grief more intense, to some degree.
Of course, those who have everything go well with the adoption and breastfeeding are extremely thankful for everything they did to prepare. I also know that anything we can do to benefit our babies can really help us cope during the waiting time so, even if the placement does fall through, and the grief is worse at the time, it might still be worth it, for some people. I guess the best we can do is to make sure that anyone we have a chance to share information with knows the possible pitfalls, and just try to encourage them to take all of that into account in deciding what approach to take.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share on this? Also, are there any recommendations for how to go about reducing lactation, for those this happens to? I assume that most would want to at least cut back on their efforts until they had another possible match on the horizon, and also that going cold turkey on both the domperidone and the pumping would not be the best approach.
Noelan