Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I was also resistant to the idea of using food, particularly sweets, as a bonding mechanism with my daughter. Not because of her weight, but mine. However, I also found that no matter how hard I tried to keep sweets (and the risk of developing an uncontrolable sweet tooth) away from her, the rest of the world was bound and determined to undermine my efforts. They gave her candy at church. The gave her candy at school (in preschool there was a candy-filled event at least once a month + the rewards for good behavior). Even employees at some of the restaurants we went to would give her candy. It was a losing battle -- and if I was the one denying her the sweets then I wasn't going to be someone she wanted to bond with. Or so it seemed.
Eventually our therapist even recommended using candy to help our bonding process. I don't think it helped at all though. Certainly not as much as taking my daughter to get some frozen yogurt and hanging out together in the shop while we eat. Frozen yogurt being my preference because it's low in fat and calories compared to most anything else that's equally satisfying.
Lorie