Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Food is about surviving to a lot of kids. I don't consider taking food stealing.
I don't know that feeding her sweets is necessary on a regular basis, but if you do not want her sneaking and eating them, don't have them in the house. The sugary sweets coming from moms hands during holding is suppose to stimulate some brain functions/chemicals(hey, science isn't my subject)that normally would have occurred during breast feeding. I'm not sure I buy that theory and for a child with a weight issue, I rather agree that bonding over food might not be the best method.
You need to find ways to create a safe place for her to let down her guard-to look at you, to touch your face, to let you touch her without her feeling scared. Painting each others faces, singing and dancing, doing chores together, reading her a book in your lap like you would have when she were little. Rocking, having your nails done, doing a mom and kid date to eat out(pick a healthy place. If your inclined, sports. Run together, walk together-something where you can talk.
I find that there are really good things in various attachment books and therapies but I also think that all families are different and it makes it necessary to modify things so they work for everyone.
The best advice I got was toss out the tv, keep the child with you as much as possible, And look at their faces often(that's where you see their fear, their sadness and their need.