Advertisements
Advertisements
My son seems VERY active. I think its starting to seem abnormal. Is it normal for a 5 year old boy to have a pretty constant stream of chatter? Run, jump and slide a lot? Almost like its a compulsion? I am not sure how describe why it seems over the top to me but it does.
Any ideas on how to get him less active? Or how to figure out if its normal?
Advertisements
My son has been considered "at risk" for adhd since he was 2.
It's not that he won't sit still... he can't sit still. Is your son able to communicate enough with you to tell you if it is really a compulsion (Mommy, I need to move vs. Mommy, I want to move)?
My rule of thumb is "when in doubt, check it out". Call your pediatrician and tell them your concerns. Talk to his teacher(s) and get some insight from them. While a teacher isn't qualified to make a diagnosis, they are able to tell you if they think he should be evaluated.
Have you considered ADHD? Might be worth a look. My 7 year old was just diagnosed....she's not really hyper, but rather impulsive and has major focus issues.
That is what I was worried about. ADHD. He was drug exposed so I always have in the back of my mind that there may issues as he gets into school. I am not worried that he has any learning issues but he just seems so hyper. I am worried that the hyperness is going to cause issues in school. They have daily behavior grading and he has never gotten less than an excellent but I wonder if the teacher gives all the kids excellents everyday!
I think I CAN ask him why he is never still. I hadn't thought of that.
My son is extremely hyper, bounces off the walls, in perpetual motion. I thought it was abnormal (I had three girls before) until I had friends with boys his age. They are ALL hyper. So, either my kiddo (Big B) is normal or they are all severe ADHD. He can't focus but gets straight A's somehow despite it. I've considered medication, too, but until his grades suffer we're holding off.
Little B, however, is a different story. He was also in perpetual motion but in a different way. It's like he couldn't sit still for two seconds, even when "sitting still". Fingers moving, toes moving, head moving, making noises, not just boy active. Even at night he was tossing and turning, and also drug exposed. Tenex was a life saver for him!
I guess the difference is that Big B made me wish I had his energy, while watching Little B was almost like he was suffering.
Advertisements
Boys like to move and they have to jump, slide, touch-it's inborn.
Can he sit and watch a movie or do a puzzle(not completely still but enough to do it?) If so, it's normal.
If the school says the behavior is fine, I'd not worry. I find the more outside time boys get, the easier the energy is to manage.
My son is also like Perfect's youngest son. He truly CANNOT sit still. Ever. If he's waiting in line his legs are shaking, if he's sitting on the potty, his feet are bouncing. Etc. ALL THE TIME, EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY.
Incidentally, he was also prenatal exposed to stimulants and I've heard that extreme "hyperness" is common with stimulant-exposed kids.
Lucyjoy, we were told by the psychologist that just because a child can focus on a movie, etc. it does not mean that he/she does not have ADHD.
My daughter is not a disruption in her class, but she has trouble focusing, and I would say impulsive as well. She speaks without thinking and tries to speak for others. At home, she cannot stay on task. If I ask her to make her bed, she will, but if she happens to walk into her room and see a toy on the floor, she's totally distracted, and it may take 5 redirections before the bed gets made.
She's also very loud and can be argumentative, but would never argue with a teacher at school.
Falling to sleep is very, very difficult. She talks incessantly and keeps her sister awake.
While eating, she may be very fidgety and go to the washroom to get out of eating. She'll play with her hair, move the food around, etc.
I knew she had it at the age of 5 1/2, but without a teacher "seeing" it, it was pointless to have her tested because the teacher's documentation would differ from mine.
Two weeks prior to school finishing last June, the teacher approached my DH and suggested we get her tested. This was after approaching her a couple of times throughout the year with our concerns.
I agree with "When in doubt, check it out." You *know* why I feel that way. Drug exposure makes a whole host of hyperactivity a possibility, it's almost a cliche for it to hit about K-2nd grade. If you are concerned, get him evaluated. :D
Advertisements
Before you book time with a pediatrician or child psychologist, invite two of his school friends over for an all-day play date some Saturday. If, after you have watched the three of them all day, you STILL think yours is more active, then call the pediatrician. I always thought Spiderman was hyper, until I spent a day with two boys. I ended up feeling much better about him and having much more respect for their teacher! LOL
I have a 5 year old that just started kindergarten. He too does not stay in his seat. He is very loveable but very active. He loves to be the center of attention. He was great the first two weeks (honeymoon period) but now has gotten to the point where the teacher is frustrated. He has become part of a group of 3 that are now dominating the class with disruptive behaviours. The teacher actually recommends that I pull him out because of his "immaturity" he will be 6 in March. She states he is at the top of his class academically but his maturity is not there. She recommends he retry kindergarten next year at 6 almost 7. unfortunately his brother who has just turned 3 will be starting kindergarten next year as he is "advanced".
Well hubby has convinced me I am just extremely inactive and irritated by noise (true) and that he is not different from the other kids his age. That's probably true. He seems the same as other kids on play dates. I just think those kids go home and sit still. Mine continues running and jumping.
SPD is another possibility to consider. I knew something was different with my son when other kids came home from the playground and seemed calmer, but he never slowed down. There are checklists for ADHD and SPD that you can find online and see if any of the other "symptoms" are present besides the movement.
Advertisements
MamaS
Before you book time with a pediatrician or child psychologist, invite two of his school friends over for an all-day play date some Saturday. If, after you have watched the three of them all day, you STILL think yours is more active, then call the pediatrician. I always thought Spiderman was hyper, until I spent a day with two boys. I ended up feeling much better about him and having much more respect for their teacher! LOL
Excellent idea! My son's teacher doesn't think he presents as ADHD. I feel so sorry for her with a room full of second grade boys if he's "normal"!
I have seen those check lists somewhere. I will have to look them up. I guess I will just wait for the parent teacher conference. Tonight he was trying to climb the walls. Literally. He saw someone do it on TV and is desperate to figure it out. He was in a show this week and I have to say, he may have something going on but he seemed downright slow compared to one of the boys (not your scrapmonkey). I swear they should show the tape of that show as an example of an adHd kid. Whoa!
He can focus fine. He is not at all impulsive for a child his age. He is super responsible and safety conscious. He is just crazy hyper/active. The more I think about it, sensory issues sounds more likely.