Advertisements
Advertisements
Were about to go on our travels to voulenteer in orphanages in countries that we are interested in adopting from and we will be in Phnom Penh for a short period of time, I just wanted to know if anybody has found out when Cambodian adoptions will resume, I heard March 2011 but i'm not 100% sure. Also will they get hauge convention status?
Thanks, T+R x
March 2011 is the targeted date for reopening adoptions. They will have Hague convention status. But as always this is completely subject to change. Best of luck to you.
Advertisements
This is what the U.S. State Department wrote last March.
March 2010
On December 3, 2009, new legislation on intercountry adoption was signed into law in Cambodia. The new law seeks to create a country-wide comprehensive child welfare system and an intercountry adoption process in compliance with the Hague Intercountry Adoption Convention (the Convention) to which Cambodia is a party. This is an important first step in Cambodia's expressed commitment to reform its child welfare system and meet its treaty obligations under the Convention. In order to be able to establish necessary regulations and standard procedures to implement the new Law on Intercountry Adoption, the Cambodian Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation has announced a temporary suspension of the receipt of all new intercountry adoption dossiers until March 2011. This will not adversely affect any U.S cases since no new cases have been submitted in the last several years.
At this time, it is not possible to estimate when adoptions will resume between the United States and Cambodia. In order to implement the new law in full, Cambodia will first need to establish the necessary government structures to support it, draft and finalize prakas (Ministerial orders/regulations), and determine and fill staffing and training needs. Issues related to transparency in fees, procedural safeguards, determination of a child's eligibility for intercountry adoption, criminal penalties and the creation of a strategy to formalize and strengthen the domestic adoption system will all need to be addressed effectively.
The United States continues to support Cambodia's desire to create a child welfare system and an intercountry adoption process that fulfills its obligations under the Hague Intercountry Adoption Convention and welcomes Cambodia’s efforts to fully implement the new law on intercountry adoption.
Updated information will be provided on [url=http://www.adoption.state.gov]Welcome to Adoption.State.Gov[/url] as it becomes available.
While Cambodia passed an adoption law back in December and has been working on its implementation, the U.S. is not likely to allow U.S. citizens to adopt there until the country shows that it has all the new systems and processes firmly in place, so that there is no repeat of what occurred in Vietnam. If you will recall, Vietnam reopened after a shutdown, but some of the same problems that led to that shutdown continued, and the U.S. suspended adoptions by Americans again. My guess is that March may be a little (or even more than a little) optimistic, although I hope I'm wrong.
Sharon
Yes I've read something similar Before I think.
One reason why we want to adopt abroad is because in the UK most of the children up for adoption are Black or Asian however white britsh families are not allowed to adopt them!! BUT heres the massive contradiction we were told we were not allowed to adopt a black or asian child from the UK but we could go abroad and do it if we wanted!
I know a few days ago the law changed that will allow families to adopt ethnic minority children, but I have thought of Cambodia for a long time and done hours and hours of reserch, Also in the UK it is advised that if the childrens birth parents are still alive they should have some form of visitation rights if social servies feels its safe to do so. I would find it so hard watching my child go back to them even for a few hours of visitation. I dont know if its me being selfish but I feel once the birth parents give up the child, that should be it. They shouldnt have contact unless the child wants to when they're older.
But I'm willing to wait two more years to see if the cambodian adoptions start again.
I am pretty confident that the adoptions will start up again next year. I would get all of your paperwork together so that you can start the process immediately.
I completely understand that you would want to adopt a child from a foreign country. Here in the USA we have many birth family's that want their child to be adopted but want letters and pictures sent to them 2-4 times a year and two visits a year. This to me is a show stopper. I have seen what this exact situation does to the child. Not in all situations but in many it seems like the birthparents still want to take "claim" of the child but not take the responsibility of having them.
Advertisements
hannapc01
in many it seems like the birthparents still want to take "claim" of the child but not take the responsibility of having them.
I agree, Thats why we have chosen intercountry, I feel the need to give children a home rather than have them bioloically, but yeah I can't deal with the birth parents still being a big part of their life.
Any update on this?
Does anyone know if Cambodia has a restriction for cancer survivors?
I saw a news article a week ago that someone from the american government is in cambodia and vietnam this week to discuss resuming adoptions.
Susan Jacobs, the Ambassador for Children's Issues, was in Cambodia and Vietnam in March. It seems like I remember her tweeting that she was hopeful that Cambodian adoptions will resume in the fall...
Advertisements
Funny you should ask this today because I received an email this morning from Rainbowkids.com that said Cambodian Adoption will resume with the U.S. on April 1, 2012.