Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Ours were voluntary as well. The bio's kinda helped pick out the adoptive family. These were pre-screened by the SW'er. They picked us. SW came for a visit and said yep she agreed that we would be a good family. Bio's both signed off on custody listing us as the adoptive home. We offered to set up a Myspace account where we would blog and post photos but have no communitcation otherwise and never met.
Second set the bio's waited until three days until the TPR hearing. (we fostered for 6 months but never met bios) Then tried to negotiate visitation, updates etc. We agreed to the Myspace access. Which they in turn violated by copying the photos and posting them ALL OVER THE WEB!!!! This was a huge thing that we worried about and they knew that this was in violation of the agreement. They lost access.
In our cases I wouldn't agree to physical visits right away but did state that when it benefited the children that we would consider it but it wouldn't be even a consideration until at least 1 yr. They weren't happy about it but hey I didn't know these children or their needs. I had to have time to bond and learn them. Well we are 2 yrs in and have 5 children (out of 6) that are dx RAD. The sixth child I believe was lucky enough to not have RAD only because of his FASD and Autism. So we think that we made the right decision in not having visits. At this time we are still struggling to get them to bond with us. They are still confused. I can't imagine visits. I know that others will disagree but for these 6 kids visits, at this time, just wouldn't be beneficial. I think visits are something you have to gauge per situation.