Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I'm amazed that it's legal to offer the parents incentives to surrender. I would agree that it's probably in the best interest of the child for them to get permanency quicker but it just seems so wrong to barter this or that for parental rights. I want to clarify that I don't mean any of the posters - I'm talking about the courts.
I don't know if this goes for everywhere, but where I live, I have heard it is common for parents to be "warned" that if their rights are terminated involuntary for any reason, that the state may just take any future children without cause. This really creeps me out and feels so wrong. I'm so glad my dd's mother did not surrender her rights in exchange for anything or because she was threatened b/c it would just be one more thing for me to obsess over forever and feel guilt about. She got a fair trial and a LONG and fair appeal and I'm so greatful for that.
I don't think it's right to pressure the fp's to agree to things that they wouldn't have to if the case went to tpr either. Are any of you regretful of anything you agreed to?
Maybe I'm reading too much into this? Again, I'm not judging any of the fp's. I would have signed whatever they put in front of me to keep dd safe.