Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Over here in England, there are never conditions if someone voluntarily signs. I don't believe it is mentionned to parents anyway, so it only very rarely happens. Iver here what happens is that once SS have a full care order, and decide that adoption is the plan, they go to court to get a 'placement order'. This makes it legal for a child to be moved into an adoptive home (it's rare for FP's to adopt, as foster adopt doesn't exist here, so FP's only get the option to adopt the child if the child will be hard to place anywhere else due to age etc). A placement order doesn't terminate all parental rights, instead rights are shared between BP's, SS and AP's. The BP's have the right to ask for permission to contest the adoption order - they have to go to court, and have a hearing to determine whether they are allowed to contest or not. When that is over, the adoption is final, and only then are BP's rights terminated fully. Because there can be legal battle going ton at the final adoption hearing, there is a second hearing weeks later called the 'celebration hearing' where you get the balloons, and a certificate etc, even though the adoption is already final by that time.
It seems totally wrong to me to offer 'incentives' ie. pressurise someone into voluntary relinquishment. Some of what is being said sounds like blackmail to me. When anything like this happens to an expectant woman considering adoption (ie. if you don't sign then this and this will happen), there is outcry, as well there should be, but it's somehow different if the children are in the system? IMO, it makes it much harder to explain everything later, because how does the child process their Bp's being 'pressurised' into signing papers? It makes the BP's look like helpless victimes and makes everyone else look bad! Which isn't helpful if the BP's were actually truly horrid abusers.