Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone we are a licensed foster to adopt home in illinois so we have a foster homestudy done already but we want to do a domestic adoption now. I was curious how that works? Also I was curious if you know of any illinois adoption agencies that have a short wait time and are under 17k for an AA or biracial baby. I was thinking of the sayer center but wasn't sure if they are good or not. I know of several out of state agencies that we would love to used but thinking of trying to keep it instate to simplify things. I would love any advice please!!!!
Thanks
Advertisements
It depends on how your homestudy was written whether you can use it for a private agency adoption. We were foster to adopt in my state but had to have our homestudy converted to the format that a private agency uses. If you decide to use a full service agency they will convert the homestudy for a fee. I think the going rate around here is $800 or so. You will probably have to redo somethings like fingerprints if your foster agency doesn't transfer them over. You can also hire a SW to convert your homestudy to adoption only.
Rachel,
I'm in IL too...and we've adopted four babies (AA and multi-ethnic) within the last nine years. I'll send a pm to you as to my own recommendations for agencies/attorneys to use. Please be careful. There are some very 'bad' agencies in our state.
Sincerely,
Linny
Do you have to be a licensed foster family to adopt in IL (even private adoption)? An agency told me that once and I hadn't heard that about other states.
Advertisements
You have to have your foster to adopt license in order to cross state lines in IL. If you're staying within IL, you'll have to have a homestudy conducted-----but you don't have to have your foster care license/PRIDE classes as long as it's a private adoption and the child is NOT from the DCFS system.
Sincerely,
Linny
Linny
You have to have your foster to adopt license in order to cross state lines in IL. If you're staying within IL, you'll have to have a homestudy conducted-----but you don't have to have your foster care license/PRIDE classes as long as it's a private adoption and the child is NOT from the DCFS system.
Sincerely,
Linny
I'm in IN. So to do a private adoption of a child born in IL not in DCS care, I have to have my foster to adopt license, but if I live in IL and want to do a private adoption of a child not in DCS care, I don't have to have the foster to adopt license?
If you live in Indiana, I'm pretty sure that if you do a private adoption from Illinois you will still be subject to ICPC waiting times and such. Which means that you would have to stay in Illinois with the baby for up to 2 weeks while ICPC happens. I don't know the exact time it takes between IN and IL. ICPC could be a day or two, or 13 days or more depending on the two states. I guess maybe it is different if you have a foster/adopt license in IL, but I thought for ALL private adoptions you had to do ICPC and remain in the birth state until it was approved. Something to ask your agency or attorney when you choose one.
I knew I'd have to do the ICPC wait, I just can't figure out if I have to get into the IL state system to do a private adoption. The way one woman at an agency in IL explained it, it almost sounded like I would have to be a licensed foster parent in IL no matter what state I live in. Almost like they wanted to try to keep the children born in IL in IL by making out of staters enter their foster to adopt system. Maybe I'm just too dense to get it.
Advertisements
usisarah
I knew I'd have to do the ICPC wait, I just can't figure out if I have to get into the IL state system to do a private adoption. The way one woman at an agency in IL explained it, it almost sounded like I would have to be a licensed foster parent in IL no matter what state I live in. Almost like they wanted to try to keep the children born in IL in IL by making out of staters enter their foster to adopt system. Maybe I'm just too dense to get it.
(ETA.....my caps are NOT shouting to anyone......they're here to show emphasis on what I'm saying, but not shouting at anyone... :) )
Unfortunately (IMO), ICPC applies to any child who crosses state lines...even kids in residential placements going into another facility.
If you're wanting to adopt privately...and you LIVE in IL; and you want to adopt a baby born in IL....you do NOT have to have a foster license as I understand it. (*And I'm pretty sure this is correct info.) BUT,
IF you live in IL; and want to adopt a baby/child born in another state, IL LAW requires that you have to have that DCFS license (foster to adopt) before you can even consider it. THIS *I KNOW* is true. BTDT more than once.
Each state has it's own laws concerning licensure. I think IL is nuts to require this; but it's not the only thing IL is known for being nuts on, KWIM? LOL
I don't know what IN requires; but, if I"m understanding your specific question.......*you* live in IN, and you want to get into the DCFS system in IL to possibly adopt a baby/child-----correct?
IF this is so, then you'll have to have a foster license from the state of IN in order to tap into the foster to adopt system in IL.
But I have to admit, having adopted from the system in IL too.......your assumption that IL wants to keep their own kids in IL...is correct. Frankly, I wouldn't look at IL to adopt system kids at all.....there are MUCH better states to adopt from when it comes to system children....believe me.
Sincerely,
Linny
Linny
IF you live in IL; and want to adopt a baby/child born in another state, IL LAW requires that you have to have that DCFS license (foster to adopt) before you can even consider it. THIS *I KNOW* is true. BTDT more than once.
Each state has it's own laws concerning licensure. I think IL is nuts to require this; but it's not the only thing IL is known for being nuts on, KWIM? LOL
That's really weird. Maybe it's a way for the state to get money from its citizens that are adopting out of state.
Linny
I don't know what IN requires; but, if I"m understanding your specific question.......*you* live in IN, and you want to get into the DCFS system in IL to possibly adopt a baby/child-----correct?
Yes I actually had two questions. This is one. What if I live in IN and want to adopt a child born in IL that is NOT part of the DCFS system? Do I still have to get a foster license from IN or IL?
I don't even know why I'm asking...we're starting to seriously consider adopting from foster care. So we'd have to get licensure in IN no matter what.
Yes I actually had two questions. This is one. What if I live in IN and want to adopt a child born in IL that is NOT part of the DCFS system? Do I still have to get a foster license from IN or IL?
You have to be an IL resident to obtain an IL foster/adopt license.
If IN requires that you need to have an IN foster/adopt license to cross state lines, then that's the IN law.
If IN doesn't require this to adopt and infant/child from another state ....then you can (as far as I know) adopt from any state in the Union that you want.
And, either way.....you'll have to go through the ridiculous ICPC process which will deal with IN and whatever state the baby was born in.
And finally...in reference to whether the practice of obtaining a foster/adopt license is a way for IL to get more money from the adopting parents? I think you're spot-on. States and agencies seem to have their hands out to adoptive parents---now, more than ever! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
HTH...
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
What if you've adopted children in another state and a sibling is coming up for adoption through DCFS? We're already licensed here and have a current homestudy.
Sunny,
I believe I'd be contacting that state where the baby will be born.......their DCFS. I'd tell them that *you* have adopted the sibs related to that baby to be born and IF that baby is going to be released for adoption, your family wants to be considered for the placement.
Many DCF's will give more credit to those who've adopted the sibs, than to others who've had no connection to the unborn baby.
Hope this helps....and good luck! Feel free to pm me if you think I can help further.
Sincerely,
Linny