Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
usisarah
I knew I'd have to do the ICPC wait, I just can't figure out if I have to get into the IL state system to do a private adoption. The way one woman at an agency in IL explained it, it almost sounded like I would have to be a licensed foster parent in IL no matter what state I live in. Almost like they wanted to try to keep the children born in IL in IL by making out of staters enter their foster to adopt system. Maybe I'm just too dense to get it.
(ETA.....my caps are NOT shouting to anyone......they're here to show emphasis on what I'm saying, but not shouting at anyone... :) )
Unfortunately (IMO), ICPC applies to any child who crosses state lines...even kids in residential placements going into another facility.
If you're wanting to adopt privately...and you LIVE in IL; and you want to adopt a baby born in IL....you do NOT have to have a foster license as I understand it. (*And I'm pretty sure this is correct info.) BUT,
IF you live in IL; and want to adopt a baby/child born in another state, IL LAW requires that you have to have that DCFS license (foster to adopt) before you can even consider it. THIS *I KNOW* is true. BTDT more than once.
Each state has it's own laws concerning licensure. I think IL is nuts to require this; but it's not the only thing IL is known for being nuts on, KWIM? LOL
I don't know what IN requires; but, if I"m understanding your specific question.......*you* live in IN, and you want to get into the DCFS system in IL to possibly adopt a baby/child-----correct?
IF this is so, then you'll have to have a foster license from the state of IN in order to tap into the foster to adopt system in IL.
But I have to admit, having adopted from the system in IL too.......your assumption that IL wants to keep their own kids in IL...is correct. Frankly, I wouldn't look at IL to adopt system kids at all.....there are MUCH better states to adopt from when it comes to system children....believe me.
Sincerely,
Linny