Advertisements
Advertisements
What looks like a quite reputable agency, having placed over 20,000 children in their history, has a pilot program in Costa Rica.
I know to be weary of a pilot program in general, but since this agency has quite the history of placing children, with what looks like a strong presence in Latin America (Colombia being the most steady program, but also offering waiting child programs in Ecuador and Peru), should we take the plunge?
We're not crazy about Colombia's estimated 4 year wait (although depending on which agency you ask, they'll quote you as little as 1 year wait, but from talking to waiting parents, I see the longer waits are the reality). We are open to kids up to age 8 (Costa Rica places kids age 5 and up).
Stay in country and travel details seem quite comparable. Our only hesitation about Costa Rica is that it's a pilot program, and the alternative is a pretty much guaranteed 4 year wait... so even if the stated 3-12 month wait for a referral from Costa Rica turns out not to be accurate, we wouldn't have done any better in the Colombia program.
What's more, the agency we're looking at with the multiple Latin American programs has a wide range of country costs for Colombia, depending on the adoption house the child is in, which is very confusing to me. The other agency we're considering for Colombia has a very stable and clear fee schedule, including the country fee (which is a flat 2,000 versus the 3,500-14,750 this other agency is quoting). I've emailed them for an explanation, but right now we're liking the clear Costa Rica cost as well.
Bottom line, we might be matched quicker and pay less with Costa Rica than with Colombia. Worst case scenario I'd expect it to be as "bad" as Colombia in terms of both costs and wait. So I'd like to go with Costa Rica, but just putting it out there to see if anyone wants to try to talk me out of it! lol
Let me suggest that you read the U.S. State Department statements on adoption from Costa Rica. The web address is [url=http://adoption.state.gov/country/costa%20rica.html]Costa Rica[/url]
The one thing that might concern you about the process is that you need to make two trips -- the first one with a month-long stay, and the second with a shorter stay. This can get costly, and may be difficult, given many parents' job situation.
Based on what the State Department says, the biggest concern about Costa Rica is that you need to work with an agency that goes through Patronato Nacional de la Infancia (PANI). PANI is the country's Central Authority for adoptions under the Hague Convention. Private adoptions, which are arranged by an attorney who gets a judge's approval, are NOT permitted under any circumstances, so be sure that your agency's pilot program conforms to Costa Rican and Hague requirements.
Sharon
Advertisements