Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
My DH and I are looking into adopting internationally and have been researching agencies. We are looking for any feedback on the following now:
Hopscotch, Children's House International, Carolina Adoption Services
Thank you!
TinTN
Actually, China adoption takes much longer than three years for NSN. Right now it's about five years, and some people predict that it will go to ten years or that China will close the NSN program. And singles are NOT accepted for China, except for Special Focus kids, who tend to have more significant medical issues than regular special needs children in the program. If you are open to rather significant medical issues, and meet some of the other criteria for singles in the Special Focus program, you may be able to adopt quickly.
Russia is a good program for single women, and is very open on age. The biggest problem is that it is the most expensive international program, mainly because you need to make two to four trips, depending on region.
Sharon
Advertisements
cburga
Thanks for your reply. Three years is a long wait but I am unaware of any other options with a shorter wait time for a 44yr old single women. Could you recommend another country to look into?
Warmly, Francine
Are you looking at Armenia or another country? I have been out of the loop for awhile but I have friends who adopted from there recently and others I have met that adopt elsewhere.
Have you considered Ethiopia or Ghana. There are healthy babies available and the wait time is very short. Not sure if they are hague or not. Every country has issues and they can change with a flip of a switch.
good luck.
I just did a quick search and there is a program in Morocco. The babies are so cute. I don't know about the conversion to islam or if they would allow a single woman to adopt.
You should look at all of these countries.
:flower:
Do not consider Morocco unless you are Muslim or SERIOUSLY considering conversion. Sham conversions to Islam, solely for the purpose of adoption, will cause that program to close to foreigners, as such conversions are extremely offensive to the Moroccan government and people, and that would be a tragedy for the children.
I looked into all countries that were open to singles and Armenia seems to be the best fit for me. Morocco is another option but I would have to convert and it is also 3 trips, which would be difficult with work. Unless my information is outdated, according to the Spence-Chapin website Ethiopia doesn't allow singles to adopt. Ghana only allows singles to adopt if they are citizens.
Advertisements
If your agency is Hopscotch it appears they offer Morocco too. Additionally, Hopcotch website doesn't say anything about limiting the adoptions to muslims only. In fact, her web site and blog mention parents that went through some sort of Kefalaha ceremony to convert. additionally, no agency can say that non-Armenians can adopt or not although I happened to know the country prefers Armenians ethnicity and last names to give the children their culture which we are so few. However, I don't think that is true with the special needs. frankly, the are glad to adopt them out as they are seen as a burden to society, as they are just now getting social programs and more disability programs. Before it was a stigma, even cross eye was. I had a friend adopt about 1.6 years ago via Adopt Abroad and it was about 3 years for a healthy baby, but she and her husband are also Armenian.
Some friends from my church have a cousin who has been waiting for over 2 years, they are on a waiting list in Armenia. But every time a baby becomes available, the local Armenians have first choice at the adoptions. So they had many stops and starts with referrals that fell through or babies that were much sicker than what was reported to them.
I guess it depends on how much you want a baby, if you stay with it long enough something will happen.
sak9645
Do not consider Morocco unless you are Muslim or SERIOUSLY considering conversion. Sham conversions to Islam, solely for the purpose of adoption, will cause that program to close to foreigners, as such conversions are extremely offensive to the Moroccan government and people, and that would be a tragedy for the children.
Honestly I feel their government is behind this and is probably getting a fat kick back from the in country facilitator. Those countries all have fraud, as much as I love my motherland there is fraud there too. Money talks. Even in America our foster care system is rifed with fraud. But does that mean the poor kids have to suffer and not get a loving home?
ArmenianMom
Honestly I feel their government is behind this and is probably getting a fat kick back from the in country facilitator. Those countries all have fraud, as much as I love my motherland there is fraud there too. Money talks. Even in America our foster care system is rifed with fraud. But does that mean the poor kids have to suffer and not get a loving home?
Actually, I think it's just the opposite and international adoption is something not even on the radar of the government.
Once it is, then it's more likely the program shuts down or far more regulations suddenly are involved. This same scenario has played out in many countries over the years. Agencies are able to find in country attorneys/facilitators/orphanages to work with them, and the first few rounds of adoptions complete without a hitch. More agencies get involved, more facilitators, throw in some bribery and other corrupt practices, and then the complaints from the adoptive parents start and suddenly the govt starts to notice that adoptions are going on and they step in.
There are agencies that are listing China and stating that it is oK for single women to adopt. What about Kazakhstan? I think that is another place, not sure if they have been closed down yet I remember there was talk about it awhile back.
Advertisements
maggie_va
Actually, I think it's just the opposite and international adoption is something not even on the radar of the government.
Once it is, then it's more likely the program shuts down or far more regulations suddenly are involved. This same scenario has played out in many countries over the years. Agencies are able to find in country attorneys/facilitators/orphanages to work with them, and the first few rounds of adoptions complete without a hitch. More agencies get involved, more facilitators, throw in some bribery and other corrupt practices, and then the complaints from the adoptive parents start and suddenly the govt starts to notice that adoptions are going on and they step in.
Hard to believe that there are not a few people within the governmental branch that is not helping them push the paperwork through. That is pathetic that countries act this way and do little to protect their future generations. These kids are treated like an export item. Nevertheless, it is confusing why an agency would bother to be hague ocmpliant yet work in countries where the hague is not recognized.
I was sent an adoption link for all the health and human services in the USA where you can adopt. It seems the domestic adoptions are picking up in the USA.
Adoption Photolisting.
:cheer:
Last update on November 15, 7:43 am by Sachin Gupta.
cburga
I looked into all countries that were open to singles and Armenia seems to be the best fit for me. Morocco is another option but I would have to convert and it is also 3 trips, which would be difficult with work. Unless my information is outdated, according to the Spence-Chapin website Ethiopia doesn't allow singles to adopt. Ghana only allows singles to adopt if they are citizens.
Good luck to you from Illinois! Hopefully it will be completed within a couple of years.
:banana:
More information about corruption in Armenia from the PEAR website (Parents for Ethical Adoption Reform) and from the State Department website which reports only 22 adoptions in 2011 and 20 adoptions in 2010 to America.
I would ask some serious questions of your agency like;
1) how many people are qued on the waiting list in Armenia in front of you and how long have they been waiting.
2) can you be open for an older child or one with slight special needs?
A leading Armenian media outlet has reported continued corruption in Armenian adoption and has fingered two US adoption Agencies, Hopscotch and Adopt Abroad as participating in corrupt practices. The information came from a governmental report released on intercountry adoption in Armenia.
Government Plans Fresh Changes In Armenian Child Adoption Rules:
The Armenian government is planning to make fresh and potentially far-reaching changes in its rules and procedures for international adoptions of children from Armenia following an RFE/RL report suggesting that they may still be riddled with corruption.
Article, in English, may be found here: [url=http://www.azatutyun.am/content/article/24333430.html]Government Plans Fresh Changes In Armenian Child Adoption Rules[/url]
From the US State department website:
1. The first step in adopting a child from Armenia is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited. Only these agencies and attorneys can provide adoption services between the United States and Armenia. Learn more.
Please note that Armenian law does not recognize the involvement of professional facilitators, adoption agencies or attorneys; it allows the prospective parents to grant power of attorney to an individual to handle most aspects of the adoption process on their behalf. Some U.S. adoption agencies have contacts with experienced local individuals who can be given power of attorney.
[url=http://adoption.state.gov/country_information/country_specific_info.php?country-select=armenia]ARMENIA | Intercountry Adoption[/url]
We are currently adopting from Armenia. Hopefully just a few weeks away from our second trip.
We did our homestudy at a local agency but became aware of a special little boy in Armenia. It will be just under a year for us from hearing about him to bringing him home.
Advertisements
ready4family
We are currently adopting from Armenia. Hopefully just a few weeks away from our second trip.
We did our homestudy at a local agency but became aware of a special little boy in Armenia. It will be just under a year for us from hearing about him to bringing him home.
Bareve;
Here is hoping and wishing you an easy time. AGain, good luck to you.
:clap:
Please remember that agency discussion must take place via private message, not on the open forums.
Thanks!