Advertisements
Advertisements
Why is it in the media if they talk about a person who adopted kids they ALWAYS make a point to call that child the adopted son or daughter??
It's like so and so died and they leave behind 2 sons and 1 adoptive daughter. Why not just say daughter?? I swear I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about Lionel Richie walking his "adoptive" daughter Nicole down the aisle. Why not just his daughter period?? I notice this happens with everyone no matter if they are famous or just everyday people. I see it in the news and read it in the magazine etc... and it really annoys the heck out of me.
Does anyone know why they do that? What's the point?
During my lunch, I hopped on to people.com and there was a picture of Cher and Chas(z). Anyway, they felt no need to explain that Chas used to be Chasity (sp), and rightfully so, but somehow need to clarify if someone is adopted. Seriously, if Nichole Richey was standing next to her dad it would say Lionel and his adopted daughter Nichole, but no footnote for Chas.
Advertisements
I just had a thought, when a woman who placed a child for adoption passes is that written in the obit? Does it read, survived by her children John, Jane and Bobby who was placed for adoption at birth. That would be just as awkward.
As far as celebrities I remember Roseanne Barr placed a daughter and they reunited years later. I know she's not in the forefront much anymore but when she's pictured with her kids do they mention the daughter?
Helayne, when sil's bmom died, her obit said she was survived by two daughters without distinguishing the two.
SHD
I just had a thought, when a woman who placed a child for adoption passes is that written in the obit? Does it read, survived by her children John, Jane and Bobby who was placed for adoption at birth. That would be just as awkward.
As far as celebrities I remember Roseanne Barr placed a daughter and they reunited years later. I know she's not in the forefront much anymore but when she's pictured with her kids do they mention the daughter?
My son has always been included as one of the grandchildren or great-grandchildren in my family's obituaries and funerals, even before we were ever reunited. My obit will definitely name him as my sole surviving son.
The last time I saw a family picture of Roseanne Barr with her kids, it didn't differentiate between the siblings with any qualifiers.
I think some are missing the point. It's not that adoptive parents are ashamed of the fact that their children are adopted, or that they are hiding it. It's why distinguish them as "adopted" when their biological children don't have that qualifier? Like, no one would say, "Kelly is pictured with her biological daughters and adopted son." if I was famous. No one uses "biological" as a descriptor in these situations. Yes, I have it listed here in my siggy how my children came into my family, but it's relevant to the discussions on a.com. If someone captioning a picture of my family, it's not relevant.
Advertisements
RavenSong
The last time I saw a family picture of Roseanne Barr with her kids, it didn't differentiate between the siblings with any qualifiers.
Good point but now you have me thinking. Do they say that when people have placed their children for adoption? i.e. Rosanne and the daugther she gave up for adoption??
I know the tabloids had outed her before and that was an issue. Now i'm wondering. Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Supra,
The most recent was Rod Stewart who outed himself about placing a girl for adoption back in the 60's...
D
Dickons
Supra,
The most recent was Rod Stewart who outed himself about placing a girl for adoption back in the 60's...
D
Yeah but I wonder how will the Media refer to her. KWIM? Will they say she his daughter or the daughter he gave up for adoption?
Supra,
His daughter who was adopted out or he has 8 children including his daughter who was placed for adoption...
That story got me simply because she had a poster of Rod on her wall as a teenager - imagine finding out you had a crush on...your father...
It was almost as bad as the twins who married each other and found out later they were twins...
D
Advertisements
SupaModel
Good point but now you have me thinking. Do they say that when people have placed their children for adoption? i.e. Rosanne and the daugther she gave up for adoption??
I know the tabloids had outed her before and that was an issue. Now i'm wondering. Has anyone ever seen this happen?
I think the media pointing out whether an adult child in a photo with a celeb birth parent may have something to do with how much time has passed since reunion. It seems to me that the early pics of Roseanne and her daughter always made mention of her adoptive status, but the later ones often don't say anything about the fact that Roseanne placed her for adoption. Btw, Roseanne wasn't outed----she told the world back in the early 1980's about relinquishing her daughter, from what I recall. I know she also wrote about the experience in her first autobiography, but I don't remember off-hand when that was published.
The photos of Joni Mitchell and her daughter, Kilauren, usually make mention of the fact that Joni relinquished her for adoption...but that may be because of all the contention and drama in their relationship.
Dickons
Supra,
His daughter who was adopted out or he has 8 children including his daughter who was placed for adoption...
That story got me simply because she had a poster of Rod on her wall as a teenager - imagine finding out you had a crush on...your father...
It was almost as bad as the twins who married each other and found out later they were twins...
D
Uhm. ick. Sorry..I must have been buried in the sand because I don't remember the twin story. Really? Not that I doubt you...I'm just "REALLY??" *shudders*
This is one reason why people need to tell their kids they are adopted. geez.
Crcik,
I kid you not - twins married - when they met they felt an attraction to each other and were so similar...really? Twin studies on others separated are very similiar despite different environments. They knew they were adopted but I highly doubt they knew they were a twin - amended birth certificates showing single birth.
It was in the UK...back when they separated twins - you know - blank slates and all.
I would never make it public if I had found out I married a sibling or cousin so consider that as a reason why others don't come forward if they ever found out. Geographically it is possible if your mother did not travel out of state.
One of the many reasons I married my first husband - he lived in different country so my odds were better.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hPT174-VfzQ"]YouTube - Twins separated at birth marry each other[/URL]
Kind regards,
Dickons
I have written out that part of my own obituary and I have instructed everyone that i wish my own 2 be used i do not want my kids to be referred to as anything buy my children nor do I want any mention of the fact that i have adopted in my obituary i dont see the revelance or importance of it..I dont @ this point say that my kids are adopted @ all although my children know they are adopted.
Advertisements
I have written out that part of my own obituary and I have instructed everyone that i wish my own 2 be used i do not want my kids to be referred to as anything buy my children nor do I want any mention of the fact that i have adopted in my obituary i dont see the revelance or importance of it..I dont @ this point say that my kids are adopted @ all although my children know they are adopted.
Certainly in your basic obituary/death notice, there is no need and in fact, I personally have never seen it done.
This is an article someone has written about the etiquette of adoption in an obituary.
[url=http://www.examiner.com/obituary-writing-in-national/adoption-and-the-obituary]Adoption and the obituary - National Obituary Writing | Examiner.com[/url]
When the obituary is more like an article, i.e. one of those ones where it is all about the story of a person's life, then that is a bit different as the adoption is part of the story. However, at the end of the article, they normally say "survived by" and they definitely should not be listed as adopted there.
crick
Uhm. ick. Sorry..I must have been buried in the sand because I don't remember the twin story. Really? Not that I doubt you...I'm just "REALLY??" *shudders*
This is one reason why people need to tell their kids they are adopted. geez.
Crick, there was also a brother-and-sister case up in the state of Washington during the 1990s. The brother and sister reunited, fell in love, and ended up marrying each other...and getting disowned by both their adoptive parents and birth parents. I remember seeing them on Oprah, I believe...it was the first time I heard the phrase "genetic sexual attraction."