Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
dad101
What do you do with a 6 yr. old boy who wants his way??
My wife and I are out of ideas as to how to get him to change his mind. :grr:
I've yet to meet a 6yo that DOESN'T want is own way! If his negative behavior is resulting in him actually GETTING what he wants, it won't stop.
You can't change his mind, you can only establish consequences (natural and imposed) and follow through on them. You don't mention what consequences FS faces for his behavior at home and at school?? The natural consequence of having to walk to and from school is a great one.
What I have found works best is giving lots and lots of choices; give him the illusion of control. A responsibility chart is also a good way to get agreement on what behaviors are desired and having a structured reward system. It sounds like you FS is pretty bright...charts work really well for kids who are smart enough to play the system to get their way. It takes LOTS of effort on the parents part to keep them up...but it does work.
I agree with PP that if you suspect an organic cause of the problem, you would consult the appropriate folks for assessment. I also agree that you need to meet with school officials and come up with a game plan and consequences that you all can stick to. The bottom line is that This is life...you don't always get what you want.
I feel you pain totally! We've recently overcome a battle of wills with out FD who is 3...we finally conceded that she DID have the control; but that meant she also had the consequences. Didn't take too many times before she decided the consequences weren't worth it and decided to make a different choice. Good luck!!