Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I have decided to look into adoption as our attempts at conceiving have not been successfull. My husband has 2 adopted sisters and, he's finally gotten me on board. We also have full custody of his twin sons and their half brother (not biological to my husband).
I have concerns regarding our homestudy if we proceed. Essentially we got the boys through CAS to begin with. The case was initially opened when my husband and his ex were still together making him partially responsible. The last time the children were aprehended was prior to our marriage, and they were placed with us and CAS pushed for full custoday. In doing so they included my name on the custody order and, since they attached my name, when bio mom split town and our file was closed, I recieved a lovely letter saying my name is now on file in some child protection data base thing.
My questions is essentially this, will this effect our chances of adopting? Clearly I'm not at fault for what happened to the boys however, my husband is partially to blame. He's obviously made a huge change in his life to be a real father but, will that even be looked at or will the social worker just be concerned with our previous involvenment with CAS and deny us?
I think the fact that they gave your husband custody of the boys says a lot about how he was viewed in the investigation. I don't believe this will stop you from adopting, but it may cause a few more hoops that you will need to jump through to make it happen.
Good luck!
Advertisements