Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Roma kids
So that other thread got me thinking and googling. I only knew peripherally about this subject (discrimination against roma people) and I am shocked. Really.
This is one of the articles I read.
[url=http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-adfg-romania-gypsy-sisters-20101218,0,6288054.story?page=1]Gypsy, Roma, Romania: Tale of 2 sisters shows an evolving Gypsy culture - latimes.com[/url]
One thing that surprises me about this particular article is that the family pictured looks to me like a regular white family. I guess it's the language, culture as much or more than "looking different" that sets these people apart?
Can I get your thoughts and experiences on this subject, especially people who adopted Roma children?
And also, remind me not to visit these places which are not known for being horrible and racist but obviously are, right down to organized racism in their governments.
(Here I've been to Greece and loved it and have been wanting to go to Dubrovnik for quite a while because it looks like such a beautiful place. There is obviously a lot of ugliness there as well. Not that there isn't anywhere else mind you... but this racism seems just so accepted by the general public and those in charge. I thought that as a world we had moved beyond some of this sort of thing.)